apply this cycle? or next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mmeow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCLA undergrad senior, out-of-state
MCAT 31 cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.6
I am trying to boost up my gpa by graduation.. possibly to 3.7 :( and planning to retake MCAT soon, shooting for at least 35. (took two quarters off studying for it but didn't come out as expected)

but the problem is my EC
- no work experience
- hospital volunteer for only about two months
(hospital volunteers I did for max was when i was in high school which was more than 100 hrs)
- research only during two summers
(have a journal article published during high school through summer program)
(((......seems like i lived more productive life during high school years lol)))

also, i don't have anyone in particular who would write me a good letters of recommendation..

Now, if I miss this cycle, since I'm a senior graduating this September, I will have two-year-gap. I'm not sure if it's worth having the gap.. My plan for these 2 yrs is working in a lab and doing the volunteering/shadowing so that i can have stronger EC.

What do you guys think?
Apply this time or next?

Members don't see this ad.

Get some shadowing in ASAP.

Since you spent several months studying for the MCAT and got a 31, I'm not sure that a retake will suddenly result in a 35. Likely, you're going to end up about the same. What was your MCAT breakdown?

If you quickly get some shadowing in, and apply outside of Calif and outside of the NE, you probably could get some II's and at least one acceptance.

Do you have any ties to any other states?

You are a good candidate for many fine schools (just not in CA). Get the MSAR and apply early. Validate your commitment to service and be able to articulate it.

One of the most common lapses in judgement in this process is re-taking a good MCAT. There is a very good chance that you will only waste opportunities to get a very similar score. The weakness in your ap is not the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
@SOMBound13
my MCAT breakdown is: BS10 PS12 VR9 M
and i went to high school in iowa.. so probably in-state for iowa
will i have higher chance in iowa then?
:( i really don't wanna go back there haha...
im hoping to stay in cali or possibly somewhere in east coast since rest of my family are there...
but seems like there's low chance..?!
im just worried that even if i start it now it will be only three months of shadowing til june
what about LORs? im not sure how much med schools weigh LORs

@gyngyn
thanks for the reply :) i should be more concerned about ECs than MCAT.
btw what do you mean by many fine schools? like where?

Obviously an attending might know more than I do, but I think your ECs are very weak and that you should wait until next year. By June your longest commitments well be only about three months...

Wait until next year, build up some shadowing, ECs (clinical and non clinical), and hopefully get on a paper while working in the lab. You'll be a lot of a stronger applicant and have experiences that'll you'll grow as a person from and be able to explain your reason for going into medicine. I wouldn't worry about your mcat. Apply early and broadly.

Sorry for grammar errors. Writing from kindle.

UCLA undergrad senior, out-of-state
MCAT 31 cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.6
I am trying to boost up my gpa by graduation.. possibly to 3.7 :( and planning to retake MCAT soon, shooting for at least 35. (took two quarters off studying for it but didn't come out as expected)

but the problem is my EC
- no work experience
- hospital volunteer for only about two months
(hospital volunteers I did for max was when i was in high school which was more than 100 hrs)
- research only during two summers
(have a journal article published during high school through summer program)
(((......seems like i lived more productive life during high school years lol)))

also, i don't have anyone in particular who would write me a good letters of recommendation..

Now, if I miss this cycle, since I'm a senior graduating this September, I will have two-year-gap. I'm not sure if it's worth having the gap.. My plan for these 2 yrs is working in a lab and doing the volunteering/shadowing so that i can have stronger EC.

What do you guys think?
Apply this time or next?

Surprised no one has mentioned this LORs situation... If you can get in a lab for a while, you should get a letter out of that at least.

Surprised no one has mentioned this LORs situation... If you can get in a lab for a while, you should get a letter out of that at least.

That would work. Then he would need at least two more for most schools. Sometimes those two have to both be from science profs too. I think a year off would best suit this guy

You are a good candidate for many fine schools (just not in CA). Get the MSAR and apply early. Validate your commitment to service and be able to articulate it.

One of the most common lapses in judgement in this process is re-taking a good MCAT. There is a very good chance that you will only waste opportunities to get a very similar score. The weakness in your ap is not the MCAT.

To clarify: Op's deficits are not his MCAT or GPA. They are his validation of a commitment to service (usually exemplified by EC's and LOR's) and potentially his application strategy (e.g. expecting interviews in CA). I agree with susequent posters that he should take the time necessary to address this. Applying early refers to timing in his application cycle, not which cycle is chosen!

To clarify: Op's deficits are not his MCAT or GPA. They are his validation of a commitment to service (usually exemplified by EC's and LOR's) and potentially his application strategy (e.g. expecting interviews in CA). I agree with susequent posters that he should take the time necessary to address this. Applying early refers to timing in his application cycle, not which cycle is chosen!

:thumbup: