Apply this cycle or wait another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saywatumean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a Biology major and just finished my junior year. My current GPA is 3.92 and my science GPA is 3.87. I took my MCAT in April and found out my scores yesterday 5 PS, 7 VR, 8 BS O. When I took it, I was not done with my Physics class yet so you can see that it reflects in my PS score. I was also taking 18 credits at school during the spring semester. I registered for July 29th test again but I am really nervous if my scores are not going to improve especially the PS. Since I am just going to be studying for the MCATs now till the exam date, I know I will do much better than when I took it in April when I was going to school but I am just really nervous if my scores are not going to get to a point where they make the cut. I started filling out the application for this cycle but now I am having doubt if I should go for this year or take a year off. Other than the MCAT score, I think I am pretty ready for the applicaton. I have volunteered at the hospital for 200+ hours, did research with a professor at my school and also shadowed a doctor last year. I also worked during my freshman and sophomore years and I am involved in four extracurricular activities in my school. I just don't know if I should submit my application on June 1st or wait till my second exam scores come out on August 30 and consider if I should apply for this cycle or take a year off. What do you think? Please give me some advice. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With those scores, I'd retake. Don't even bother applying.

Hi I am a Biology major and just finished my junior year. My current GPA is 3.92 and my science GPA is 3.87. I took my MCAT in April and found out my scores yesterday 5 PS, 7 VR, 8 BS O. When I took it, I was not done with my Physics class yet so you can see that it reflects in my PS score. I was also taking 18 credits at school during the spring semester. I registered for July 29th test again but I am really nervous if my scores are not going to improve especially the PS. Since I am just going to be studying for the MCATs now till the exam date, I know I will do much better than when I took it in April when I was going to school but I am just really nervous if my scores are not going to get to a point where they make the cut. I started filling out the application for this cycle but now I am having doubt if I should go for this year or take a year off. Other than the MCAT score, I think I am pretty ready for the applicaton. I have volunteered at the hospital for 200+ hours, did research with a professor at my school and also shadowed a doctor last year. I also worked during my freshman and sophomore years and I am involved in four extracurricular activities in my school. I just don't know if I should submit my application on June 1st or wait till my second exam scores come out on August 30 and consider if I should apply for this cycle or take a year off. What do you think? Please give me some advice. Thank you in advance.
I would not apply this year. Focus exclusively on the MCAT. Increasing your score by 10 would put you in a much better position. This means that you will need to study more than just physics. All of your scores are low

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. After I retake the July 29 test and find out my scores on August 30 and if they improve (I am saying only if they are 30+ of course, not otherwise) should I still apply for this year? or is it too late and the schools would have already fill up the seats for the interviews and it would be a waste and better to apply next year anyway?

I see. After I retake the July 29 test and find out my scores on August 30 and if they improve (I am saying only if they are 30+ of course, not otherwise) should I still apply for this year? or is it too late and the schools would have already fill up the seats for the interviews and it would be a waste and better to apply next year anyway?

a 3.9/30+ will find a seat somewhere, but you will have to apply more broadly and will probably get less options than having applied early.