d

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This reply makes it seem like you are even more of a troll :(!

Unless you have some serious research output in the next year or so, I think you can kiss good chances at any T20 (note: research-focused) schools good bye. That GPA is also unimpressive by MD school standards (and maybe DO too, not sure).

I think if you apply to mid-low tier MD schools and also include DO schools on your list, you should be fine this cycle, but a gap year never hurt no one (if it's used productively).
Jeez I forgot this question was in regards to top 10-20 schools. In that case OP is out of their mind. The only reason their application is not a donation for ANY MD school is their URM status. Definitely a donation for a top 40 school though.

Members don't see this ad.

what's the general strategy of casting a wide net? Like I think NY has a few state schools but where would I go from there, also why do people always recommend state schools, is getting into them that much higher for instate applicants?
I’m going to be honest, you have about a high schooler’s level of understanding about medical school admissions. Which is fine, I didn’t even want to be a doctor until a few semesters into undergrad. It’s just not fine if you are about to apply.

So I would recommend reading a lot more on the basics before you continue making posts because 1) you’re wasting people’s time 2) you will get eaten alive on SDN.

This is all on the presumption that you aren’t trolling. And to be honest this post is a perfect example of when it’s hard to tell if someone is very naive or a semi-decent troll.

What I am saying might come off as too harsh to others but please keep in mind the context of all of OP’s post in this thread and throughout SDN. Not just the one I quoted above

Reactions: 1 users
Yea definitely will do, I need to give this application process the respect it demands, also what's the general strategy of casting a wide net? Like I think NY has a few state schools but where would I go from there, also why do people always recommend state schools, is getting into them that much higher for instate applicants?
If you look at the IS interview rates for state schools, they are significantly higher outside of a few circumstances. If you look at tiny states, they offer interviews to about 70% of IS applicants. NY's IS protection isn't that robust, but it's definitely strong.

On top of that, the state institutions' tuition is much more favorable if you go IS. In the most extreme cases, you would be paying 60-70% less tuition compared to an OOS state school or private.

Members don't see this ad :)
This reply makes it seem like you are even more of a troll :(!

Unless you have some serious research output in the next year or so, I think you can kiss good chances at any T20 (note: research-focused) schools good bye. That GPA is also unimpressive by MD school standards (and maybe DO too, not sure).

I think if you apply to mid-low tier MD schools and also include DO schools on your list, you should be fine this cycle, but a gap year never hurt no one (if it's used productively).
I think many underestimate the gpa forgiveness when paired with a good MCAT that a full time college athlete receives.

I think many underestimate the gpa forgiveness when paired with a good MCAT that a full time college athlete receives.
The GPA is an obvious concern, but my main concern was his low research hours... 100 hours of research is like a month of research time. That is neither significant or sustained.

It's unlikely that a year working as an RA would change that. Heck, at a good lab, it may even be hard to get hired as an RA with only 100 hours of exp.

Reactions: 1 user
The GPA is an obvious concern, but my main concern was his low research hours... 100 hours of research is like a month of research time. That is neither significant or sustained.

It's unlikely that a year working as an RA would change that. Heck, at a good lab, it may even be hard to get hired as an RA with only 100 hours of exp.
Research hours just isn’t very important if everything else balances out, even for many T10s.

Reactions: 1 user