Apply This Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klmnop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MI resident, 3.31, 3.2sci, 30Q, Good letters, Research 1.5yrs, extensive hospital jobs + volunteering.

2010 App: No MD interviews.

Doing research since January, most likely attending Tufts SMP in fall, w/possible MCAT retake after completion.

Keeping in mind there's a new private school opening in Michigan for 2011 apps. Do I even bother applying to a few local/midwest schools with the prospect of sending midterm SMP grades, or (due to my low numbers) should I just hold off until I'm done and have something significant to show.

Members don't see this ad.

sometimes people don't like new threads with those kinds questions. And no, no significant upward trend, though first year was ~3.18 I think.
WAMC is here just for these types of questions.

Other than the research do you have any other improvements since you last applied? Any leadership or teaching? Have your GPAs changed since last applying? Is there any reason for the classromm underperformance (relatively-speaking) that could modify adcomm opinion about your grades?

If you haven't done so, consider calling schools that rejected you for further feedback on your application. You may be assuming the low GPA is the only problem, but your PS, LORs, or a lack of activity in some area (or applying late) are other potential flaws to fix before reapplying. One can call admissions offices, ask to make a phone appointment with a dean to discuss your application, and then ask what you can do to improve your chances at their school. One often gets feedback about the above issues without specifically asking about them.

You're also welcome to post the specific details of your Experiences if you'd like more feedback.

WAMC is here just for these types of questions.

Other than the research do you have any other improvements since you last applied? Any leadership or teaching? Have your GPAs changed since last applying? Is there any reason for the classromm underperformance (relatively-speaking) that could modify adcomm opinion about your grades?

If you haven't done so, consider calling schools that rejected you for further feedback on your application. You may be assuming the low GPA is the only problem, but your PS, LORs, or a lack of activity in some area (or applying late) are other potential flaws to fix before reapplying. One can call admissions offices, ask to make a phone appointment with a dean to discuss your application, and then ask what you can do to improve your chances at their school. One often gets feedback about the above issues without specifically asking about them.

You're also welcome to post the specific details of your Experiences if you'd like more feedback.

Thanks,

No leadership or GPA improvements, I did volunteer ~200+ hours at a free clinic over the summer/fall which was mentioned briefly on my AMCAS app. GPA underperformance was strictly my own lack of dedication. It was a tough school but i put minimal effort in.

I was told by Wayne's Associate Admissions Dean that MCAT was satisfactory, Extracurriculars were good (I might detail my EC's later when I have it in front of me), he didn't say anything about the letters but they're from trusted people so. I was very proud of my PS, in fact an English prof of mine offered to help having helped other students before and he helped me stay focused and clear. The only thing the adcom mentioned was GPA (ill give you my trend later as well) and said to improve it by taking 20 credits of graduate-level biomed courses and aim for a 3.7. Seeing as i wouldn't be able to apply with these grades until after a full year I'm opting for Tufts because it would give me more options than just Wayne over the same period. He's the only one I spoke to, however I imagine my GPA was the deciding factor for many schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think in your situation an adcomm will want to see more than a semester of excellent grades, so completing the program with a high GPA before applying will be the most cost-effective and productive. Whatever fire has been lit beneath you to get you into highly-productive mode, I hope you keep fanning the flames to get you through the year creditably to make the investment worthwhile.

If its any consolation I applied kind of late, had stuff in by Mid September and confirmed in late October.