Apply this year, or wait till 2011? Please read my story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BYU2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Jr at Brigham Young University. I am completing all my prereqs this semester ( except O chem which I will finish this summer) I have a 3.99 gpa ( an A- in a nutrition class) and am preparing to take the Mcat in August. I plan on studying for 4 months pretty intensely hoping to get a 33+.
I just turned 21 and recently returned from serving a 2 year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I completed 2 years of school before my mission after I graduated early from high school. I was still involved in high school sports etc.
The problem is because of the circumstance I don't have any research or shadowing hours or clinical experience. I have it worked out so I will get 70+ shadowing hours this semester. I am also trying to find a job working as a dialysis technician.
I don't want it to look as if I'm only doing shadowing and working in a hospital to look good on my application. My debate is do I push it and apply this June, or do I take my time, get in some good research and plenty of clinical experience.
Any advice would be helpful.
One last thing, my brother is applying to medical school this year and I would love to go in at the same time as him. I don't want that to effect my decision to much though.
Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll need more clinical experience for your application to appeal broadly to med schools. If you want to go to your state school, it's my understanding that they really like to see a solid research experience. The shadowing you already planned is fine, but the rest of your application needs to be competitive too. At least you're in good shape for altruisitic activities.

Whenever you apply, keep in mind that June is the optimal time to submit. By taking your MCAT in late summer and getting the results back a month later, your applications wouldn't be complete until fairly late in the cycle, decreasing your chances overall.