Apply to >4 schools? GPA 3.65 DAT 24AA 23PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OutwardDragon

Reaction score
Because of money, I'm considering only applying to 4 schools. I feel really confident in my numbers & solid about my experience (50+ hrs in research, 50+ hrs volunteering, 50 hrs shadowing), but don't want to regret my decision later... What would you say is a safe number to apply to in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Because of money, I'm considering only applying to 4 schools. I feel really confident in my numbers & solid about my experience (50+ hrs in research, 50+ hrs volunteering, 50 hrs shadowing), but don't want to regret my decision later... What would you say is a safe number to apply to in my situation?

Not really a safe number. My stats were better than yours and there were schools who didn’t give me an interview, schools that gave me scholarships, and schools that just didn’t accept me. It’s likely that you’d get 3/4 or 4/4 interviews from the schools you apply to. With 3 or 4 interviews you would have a good shot. It’d probably be worth it to add 2-3 schools. The extra 300 bucks to almost double your chance is so much more worth it than reapplying next year if you have bad luck. I had a friend this cycle with a 3.6 24AA who applied to 6 and didn’t get in. Your numbers are good it’s just kind of random. I got a scholarship at UPenn and didn’t get an interview to MUSC. Got into VCU OOS but didn’t get an interview at Kentucky. It’s weird.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you'd need to up your shadowing and volunteering hours if you want to apply to so few schools. You should add more, probably 8-10 total is a good number to shoot for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say 4 or less is risky. I had very similar stats, almost identical, applied to 6 schools, interviewed at 4 and was accepted to 3. It's all very random and hit or miss. If you only apply to 4 just be careful or else you risk not getting in anywhere.

3.2 gpa / 23aa here, applied to 4, accepted to 1. But I was 99% sure that the one school that accepted me would accept me. If you have this type of certainty, go for it.

You can always apply now and add on more schools later when you get the money.

This advice has helped me a lot. I think I should add a few more schools and get to the 6-7 mark.

Thanks guys

Not really a safe number. My stats were better than yours and there were schools who didn’t give me an interview, schools that gave me scholarships, and schools that just didn’t accept me. It’s likely that you’d get 3/4 or 4/4 interviews from the schools you apply to. With 3 or 4 interviews you would have a good shot. It’d probably be worth it to add 2-3 schools. The extra 300 bucks to almost double your chance is so much more worth it than reapplying next year if you have bad luck. I had a friend this cycle with a 3.6 24AA who applied to 6 and didn’t get in. Your numbers are good it’s just kind of random. I got a scholarship at UPenn and didn’t get an interview to MUSC. Got into VCU OOS but didn’t get an interview at Kentucky. It’s weird.

wtf.
DId your friend apply only to texas schools as an oos applicant or something?

Admissions can be a crapshoot. It depends on what a school values. You "check the boxes" academically because of your sky high DAT, but you don't stand out with extra curricular's, based on your description of hours. So, there's not really a good answer to that because different schools that value different things may have different opinions of you. I would apply to a few more. Four schools is pretty aggressive. Better to spend more and do it once then to be one of those crazy outliers w/ great academics that doesn't get in and then loses a year of earning potential AND have to pay to reapply in my opinion.

Probably socially awkward and bombed the interviews.

that's probobly it. I've known a few people irl with stellar stats that did not get accepted anywhere (mostly pre-meds) in their first cycle because they were awkward af. probobly even thought it was a good idea to go in the interview with a pretentious personality

I would absolutely consider myself to be socially apt & generally like-able/relate-able. However, I do still agree with the idea of applying to a handful more schools to be safe. This is my first time applying & wasn't even sure what a normal number of schools to apply to was. I was a bit caught up in the thought that I shouldn't be applying to schools that don't fit my exact criteria, but realistically, you're lucky to get into any school. Schools definitely are looking for different things and assuming I'd have get my first choice come winter/spring is a mistake. It'd be a shame if I gave myself such a good chance to get in without a gap year then blew it on something as simple as clicking more boxes on the application

From what I heard, some schools may not accept you if your stats are too high. Like they will assume that you are going to have a better school to go to anyways, thus why bother wasting a seat for you. It's not like applying to colleges, where if your stats are well above their averages, you are essentially guaranteed admission.

Probably socially awkward and bombed the interviews.
that's probobly it. I've known a few people irl with stellar stats that did not get accepted anywhere (mostly pre-meds) in their first cycle because they were awkward af. probobly even thought it was a good idea to go in the interview with a pretentious personality

I always see this assumption on here, and it seems to me like an attempt to feel in control. You don’t know what schools are really looking for and there is no such thing as a sure thing. Someone could have great stats and a good personality and still not get in.