1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Apply to ANY MD?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Panda247, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Panda247

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Mcat 26(10,8,8).
    3.45 cgpa, 3.2 sgpa
    Average ec. above average shadowing.

Already submitted my DO primary. Wondering if I should apply to ANY MD schools. My parents keep pushing me to just for the hell of it(my primary is already all filled out) but I don't think It would be worth the extra stress/ money of filling out and submitting secondaries to schools I don't think I even have a chance to get into.
    All i'm looking to apply to as far as MD if i did would be temple, drexel, penn, jefferson. Basically all philly schools. Could someone please let me know if I would be wasting my time/ money doing so.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tapepsi

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You would definitely be wasting your money if you applied to U. of Penn, which has averages along the lines of 3.9 GPA and 36-37 MCAT. The others I guess you can give a shot and see how it goes.

What is your state of residency btw?

4. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Your parents may feel that a ~25% chance of an MD acceptance is worth the try. If your transcript shows a steep upward grade trend (with recent As in upper-level science) and your ECs are terrific, your odds are better. You may have other moderating factors we are unaware of that could give you improved chances.

Average matriculant stats for your target schools are:

temple, 3.67/31.2
    drexel, 3.58/30.3
    penn state, 3.69/29.1
    jefferson, 3.65/31.6

You might check an MSAR and be sure your stats are above the bottom tenth percentile for each school. Then review this information with your parents before you decide.

5. Panda247

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the quick reply. I live in PA. I've lived in PA my whole life

6. Tapepsi

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Okay so then I'd say apply to: Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, Penn State, and WVU (you're from a bordering state and if you have any ties to WV that would be even better. I had a friend with similar stats as you get an interview there).

I will warn you though that your MCAT score will definitely hold you back. Do you think it's possible for you to retake it?

7. Panda247

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That sounds good! I guess its worth a shot then. As far as my MCAT goes, I would really rather not retake. I was topping out getting 28's on practice tests, and my biggest fear of retaking it would be getting a lower score, and with so little time left in the summer, I fear I would be biting off more than i could chew now that i have a full time job and am in the application process.

8. technopoly

technopoly The antidote for civilization
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What about Commonwealth? Isn't that in PA? Are you looking to go to a state med school specifically?

9. Tapepsi

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I knew I was forgetting a school! I agree with technopoly TCMC would be worth applying to as well.