Apply to categorical GS as a backup?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nice_boi_4_u

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hello

MS3 recently interested in ophtho

Step 1: high 240s
School: Low tier MD
Clinical grades: All passes
research: 2 low impact pubs (non-ophtho)

I know I have to get great letters in ophtho and more research in ophtho. I would prefer ophtho match in pacific NW or Northeast. As far as I see it I am maybe middle of the pack or even slightly below average as an ophtho applicant? As such I was wondering if its heard of to apply to gen surg as a back up. I love ophtho but I am couples matching with a very competitive candidate for OBGyn and would rather we both start residency together and in the same place rather than be unmatched and have the unsurety of me starting a prelim year near her and not knowing where im going

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. Realistically you're somewhere between the 10th and 25th percentile. Barring more significant research or an improved step 2ck or strong letters from people who are well known.
2. So if you match ophtho what's your plan? You'll match first and she'll have to follow you. It's not clear what you're trying to accomplish. In any case, tread lightly here, the general surgeons are going to interpret you double applying as a lack of commitment which is something they take very seriously

Reactions: 1 user
General surgery is a tough field but they certainly don't practice homeopathic medicine. When they say "hemorrhage", it is way more bleeding than can be slowed down with a cotton tip swab.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Couples-matching within ophtho is really hard. I knew lots of people who were split (living apart and also relationships ending) because of the match. I think the only time programs will make room for someone's spouse is if you're married to a big name or if you are son/daughter of a biggy.

Frankly I applied to Ophtho and categorical IM at the same time, and it didn't seem like the IM programs knew I was also applying to ophtho. It may have been the result of me being careful to ask for 2 letters from each letter writer including dean of students to say something like "he's great for ophtho" for letter A and "he's great for IM" for letter B. Submitted letter A to SF match and letter B to NRMP.

Good luck.

I'm definitely just adding on at this point but I've also made a last minute decision to pursue Optho. My stats are:

Step 1: 254
School: mid tier MD. My school does not have an Optho residency.
Clinical grades: mostly honors
research: 3 publications + several posters (not in Optho)

I really really thought I wanted to do Pulm/Critical Care until I got to my actual rotations and realized it wasn't for me. I'f I'm lucky I can maybe get started with an Optho research project but I can't promise anything will get published by next August. Would applying optho be too risky at this point? Should I also apply to internal medicine or something as a back up? I really appreciate any feedback I can get!

I think you would be a competitive applicant and I would recommend applying broadly. You should be fine!