Apply to DO School w/ a 21 on the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pursuing MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 21 on the MCAT both times that I scored it. My cumulative GPA is 3.60 and my science GPA is 3.52. I've done research and volunteer work, I am currently doing volunter again.

SHOULD I APPLY TO A D.O. SCHOOL WITH MY LOW MCAT SCORE? Is it worth it? (thanks)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you don't apply, you're definitely not going to get in. So just take a chance, with your good GPA, it might work out. MCATs aren't everything.

Apply, but retake in August. Start studying!!

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you should DEFINATELY apply because you never know. Your overall and science GPA's are high so they will help you. Are you planning on retaking the MCAT? Even if you are, apply right now so that your application is processed. A 21 will probably hold you back at some schools, but others may give you chance because they see you are capable of the work since your GPA is good. You never know what may happen, so APPLY and give it a shot. Good luck! :)

I'm applying with an 18, but I'm retaking because I know I had a bad day last April. Peace.

Apply, it's your money, you can do whatever you want with it. It's all you have to lose, and it isn't that expensive. But don't think that D.O school is so much easier to get into, it's not.

I have a fellow classmate who is starting a D.O. program this August with a 21 MCAT. His GPA is high, but never the less he got in, so you would be crazy not to apply.

P.S. I'll be right with you Aug 17, :wink: Its my first time.