Apply to hpsp during medical school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

messenger634

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing my third year of medical school, but am interested in the hasp or options like it. Am I still eligible to apply for a reduced scholarship if I'm willing to make the residency/practice commitment?

Thanks-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In theory, yes, assuming that you qualify for the program and can hurry the paperwork through the bureaucracy.

If I recall correctly, the minimum obligation for HPSP is 3 years, so that's the least amount of time you would serve as an independent practitioner* even though they're only paying for two years of school.

*Best term I can think of to account for the permutations involved with GMO tours.

Whoa - I actually made an error - Im finishing my third year. Is there any program where they reimburse loans or anything for earlier years? Just wondering if that was possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa - I actually made an error - Im finishing my third year. Is there any program where they reimburse loans or anything for earlier years? Just wondering if that was possible.

Programs like FAP will put some green in your wallet that you can put towards a chuck of your loans. You can sign up for those as a resident or attending. HPSP is a 4 or 3 year deal that doesn't work retroactively.

Yes, you can get the FAP program during residency that gives you a stipend on top of your residency salary and loan repayment.

Programs like FAP will put some green in your wallet that you can put towards a chuck of your loans. You can sign up for those as a resident or attending. HPSP is a 4 or 3 year deal that doesn't work retroactively.

I was screaming in my head "don't do HPSP when you're almost done, do FAP!!!", but then I read these posts as well.

OP, FAP is much much better suited for your situation.

Here is the FAP thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=189443