apply to loma linda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fightingon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

im deciding whether or not to apply to loma linda this cycle. originally i was for it, just bc its in CA, and i want to come back after my smp. but ive heard that their secondary is overly sda-focused. is this true? and can anyone who has access to their secondary share w/me some of the questions...that would be much appreciated, thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

fightingon said:
hi guys,

im deciding whether or not to apply to loma linda this cycle. originally i was for it, just bc its in CA, and i want to come back after my smp. but ive heard that their secondary is overly sda-focused. is this true? and can anyone who has access to their secondary share w/me some of the questions...that would be much appreciated, thanks :D
I've heard they are highly religious, but they will accept anyone that shows devotion to religion, not just SDA.

I also believe there is a strong SDA influence in the hospitals (i.e. no caffeine) And you are expected to comply to some other SDA behavioral guidelines if you matriculate. Someone else can probably tell you more.

Besides basic questions on why our school type of questions... here are few other questions.

*Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution. The curriculum integrates ethical and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services are part of this program. How would this relate to your personal educational and career goals?

*As a Seventh-day Adventist institution, LLU has lifestyle expectations which include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms while enrolled. During the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which ones?

I don't think it's too bad.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Though I'm not affiliated with SDA, I visited the school just to check it out.

I had a tour of downtown Loma Linda and the school.
Although there is not much to do near Loma Linda, it's not too far away from LA.
I also had a chance to speak with the admissions folks, current medical students, and some physicians working at the ER.
The people I met in Loma Linda were some of the nicest people I have met
in years. I just thought it was an excellent school.

cool thanks for the help...im comfortable with being at a religious school, but i wasnt sure how much more strict loma linda was in comparison with a jesuit or catholic school.

I just filled out their secondary. I'm SDA so its alright with me, but their questions make it very clear that you need to be religious, preferable Christian I think, but religous none the less:

1) Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University (LLU) School of Medicine. (750 characters max)

(2) What makes LLU School of Medicine particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)

(3) What traits make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLU School of Medicine? (750 characters max)

(4) Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution. The curriculum integrates ethical and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services are part of this program. How would this relate to your personal educational and career goals? (750 characters max)

(5) As a Seventh-day Adventist institution, LLU has lifestyle expectations which include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms while enrolled. During the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which ones? (250 characters max)

(6) If you are accepted to LLU School of Medicine, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of the university while enrolled? (250 characters max)

What church are you a part of and describe your involvement with your religious group (750 characters max)

But yeah, its still a great school. If anything it might be odd for you because people are too nice there, if that kind of stuff bothers you.

(4) Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution. The curriculum integrates ethical and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services are part of this program. How would this relate to your personal educational and career goals? (750 characters max)

I answered all the othere question but this one.
Chapel service and my goals...
i just cannot find any connection between them

in4mant said:

I answered all the othere question but this one.
Chapel service and my goals...
i just cannot find any connection between them

An idea occurs to me (I applied to LL last year and will again)...

How about addressing how you might integrate ethical and relational issues into your practice of medicine? That addresses a piece of this question directly, and might be easier to find a "real" response to.

Just my $0.02 :p

To the OP, I must say I really loved LLU a LOT more than I thought I would when i visited interview day. I'm not SDA, and I had my reservations about the school and thus applied late (although I eventually did). When I saw the school and what they offered, I was sold. I would've gone there hands down if they had only accepted me. Alas, it was a sad rejection for me, though...(and yes, I am sour grapes to a small extent about this). :rolleyes:

septua said:
To the OP, I must say I really loved LLU a LOT more than I thought I would when i visited interview day. I'm not SDA, and I had my reservations about the school and thus applied late (although I eventually did). When I saw the school and what they offered, I was sold. I would've gone there hands down if they had only accepted me. Alas, it was a sad rejection for me, though...(and yes, I am sour grapes to a small extent about this). :rolleyes:

thanks...your advice just gave me new perspective. i hope u get in this year :luck: