FollowTheMoney

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2010
552
170
181
3.69 GPA from UF
About 3.5 Science
MCAT: TBA (June 17) :eek:

Pretty stacked on EC/Volunteering/etc.
Applying minority but born and raised in US (hispanic; Spain)
Dad went to medical school at SUNY: Downstate
Limited leadership
Grades strongly trended upwards
No grades less than B on my transcript
Good letters of rec.

Should apply to DO schools if my MCAT score is below par? Or take off a year, improve my MCAT, and reapply again? Preliminarily, I want to be either an Anesthesiologist or a Plastic Surgeon, with outside ideas about Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, and other surgical subspecialties. I'm concerned that if I go DO my chances aren't good to get any of the specialties previously mentioned except maybe anesthesia.
 

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
1,171
1
141
Houston
Status
Medical Student
There is a fair number of DO orthopods. Honestly, this decision is solely yours and you have to decide for yourself how much the MD title means to you. I would not turn down a DO acceptance to reapply obviously. It's really difficult to give much advice, because this is mainly a personal decision.
 
Last edited:
Sep 4, 2006
30,620
10,434
281
Inside the tesseract
Have you taken some practice tests yet? Do you have reason to think your MCAT score will be below a 30? Maybe a formal prep class is in order before you take the real thing. If you aren't a good test taker and don't score strongly on the MCAT, it might be that getting a high enough Step I (or DO equivalent) score to be competitive for one of the selective residencies you mention would be difficult. Only you can decide, after taking the MCAT, if another year of prep and stress is worth attaining (or not) a higher score.
 

ronaldo23

The Truth
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2007
994
0
141
Status
Medical Student
3.69 GPA from UF
About 3.5 Science
MCAT: TBA (June 17) :eek:

Pretty stacked on EC/Volunteering/etc.
Applying minority but born and raised in US (hispanic; Spain)
Dad went to medical school at SUNY: Downstate
Limited leadership
Grades strongly trended upwards
No grades less than B on my transcript
Good letters of rec.

Should apply to DO schools if my MCAT score is below par? Or take off a year, improve my MCAT, and reapply again? Preliminarily, I want to be either an Anesthesiologist or a Plastic Surgeon, with outside ideas about Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, and other surgical subspecialties. I'm concerned that if I go DO my chances aren't good to get any of the specialties previously mentioned except maybe anesthesia.
<30 definitely apply DO as well. >=30 you probably don't need to if you apply broadly enough...
 

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
1,171
1
141
Houston
Status
Medical Student
Just wait til after the MCAT.....then decide.
That's pretty much what I did, but I took the MCAT in early May. Make sure you have your apps ready to go, in fact I'd submit the AMCAS for verification and get secondaries ready for the most selective MD schools on your list. If your MCAT score comes back below 30, get the DO apps out. You could even just apply for 1 DO school to start out and add more later if your MCAT is questionable.