Apply to schools where CC credit is accepted on case-by-case basis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannagotoFlorida!!

Reaction score
I have 2 calculus courses, that I took at CC one summer. After graduating this Dec, im planning to take organic chem lab, physics 2, and physics 1 at my CC. Looking through MSAR, there are a lot of schools that only accept CC credit on a case-by-case basis. That too, the 2 courses i plan to take next semester at CC will likely be online due to COVID. Should I even bother applying to schools when they say case-by-case basis for CC credits, especially when they say online is not accepted? I would normally not apply but seeing that COVID changed the game, im wondering if i should even consider applying here (assuming my stats are competitive enough for the school).

Members don't see this ad.

I have 2 calculus courses, that I took at CC one summer. After graduating this Dec, im planning to take organic chem lab, physics 2, and physics 1 at my CC. Looking through MSAR, there are a lot of schools that only accept CC credit on a case-by-case basis. That too, the 2 courses i plan to take next semester at CC will likely be online due to COVID. Should I even bother applying to schools when they say case-by-case basis for CC credits, especially when they say online is not accepted? I would normally not apply but seeing that COVID changed the game, im wondering if i should even consider applying here (assuming my stats are competitive enough for the school).
????? All you have to lose is time and money. The answer depends on how much you like the school and how good you think your chances are. This question might be better answered by the schools themselves, assuming they are willing to give you an honest answer regarding your specific "case."

Reactions: 1 user
????? All you have to lose is time and money. The answer depends on how much you like the school and how good you think your chances are. This question might be better answered by the schools themselves, assuming they are willing to give you an honest answer regarding your specific "case."

Hmm ok. Was wondering how schools saw this because I made A's in my other pre-req classes taken in residence at my 4-year university, so i was thinking CC shouldn't matter if i performed equally well at my actual college

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm ok. Was wondering how schools saw this because I made A's in my other pre-req classes taken in residence at my 4-year university, so i was thinking CC shouldn't matter if i performed equally well at my actual college
I agree, but what I think doesn't matter. Many schools don't discriminate at all against CC, and others just say it's not preferred. If a school says "case by case," then you need to specifically know how your case is going to be viewed.

If you love the school, you apply anyway, since, as I said before, it only costs time and money. If you care about such things, then you try to get an indication from the school regarding whether an application would be a waste of everyone's time.

Strong performance at your home institution is definitely important, but they emphasize pre-reqs for a reason, and doing well in other courses at a 4 year school doesn't tell them anything about how you'd do in calculus and physics there. I don't think anyone will really care about a one credit lab one way or the other.

My answer to you would be to take your shot and hope for the best, rather than always wondering "what if?" unless you don't really care about the schools.

I agree, but what I think doesn't matter. Many schools don't discriminate at all against CC, and others just say it's not preferred. If a school says "case by case," then you need to specifically know how your case is going to be viewed.

If you love the school, you apply anyway, since, as I said before, it only costs time and money. If you care about such things, then you try to get an indication from the school regarding whether an application would be a waste of everyone's time.

Strong performance at your home institution is definitely important, but they emphasize pre-reqs for a reason, and doing well in other courses at a 4 year school doesn't tell them anything about how you'd do in calculus and physics there. I don't think anyone will really care about a one credit lab one way or the other.

My answer to you would be to take your shot and hope for the best, rather than always wondering "what if?" unless you don't really care about the schools.
Gotcha. Guess i better try my best to reach out to those schools and see what they might think. Thank you very much!