Apply to schools with old score or wait for new score and apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GASPER20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 25 my first time around and was wondering if I should apply now or wait till after my second mcat scores come out (going to take on Sept. 12)? (3.3 gpa + volunteer, research, clubs, ect. if you guys were wondering.)

I'm not sure if applying now would help because schools won't look at my app until they have my new mcat score correct?

Also, I'm a little confused about the application process. Do all applicants receive secondaries or do the schools select who they give secondaries out to? The deadlines posted for the schools are for primary applications and not secondaries right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

After you apply, it will take about a month for your transcripts to be verified. If you think there is any chance you'll have a competitive MCAT score on retake, you should apply to just one school now to get the verification process started. You can add more schools after the score is available, if it's not past that school's deadline.

Not knowing anything else avbout you that might be a modifying factor, I'd say you'll need an MCAT score of 34+ to have a good shot at US MD programs. Ideally, you're considering applying to DO med schools, which are a better fit for your stats. Many people apply to MD and DO at the same time.

Some MD schools screen and only send Secondaries if they think you qualify for their school. Many send a Secondary to everyone, even before the application is complete, as application fees are a good source of revenue for them. There are often two deadlines, one for submitting their name to AMCAS, and the other for getting all supplemental materials sent.

thanks for the response!

I'm confused on the transcript verification process; does AMCAS do the verification for all schools or does each school do their own?

The deadlines posted on AMCAS websites are (Nov 15-Dec15) for submitting the primary which isn't for the supplemental stuff? not sure..

I really want to apply this cycle but is it really too late to have any chance (assuming I get ~34 on the mcat)?

thanks again

You have all your college transcripts sent directly to to AMCAS. You also fill in AMCAS' on-line transcript section exactly the same as the classes look on your transcripts. They verify that the transcripts are correct and then calculate a cumulative GPA and BCPM GPA for you. The posted deadline is usually when they want AMCAS to know you are applying to them. When you get the Secondary, it will tell you how soon to get everything back (check, photo, LORs, copy of greencard, and completed application).

It's not too late to apply this cycle, but you will have a lower chance of an interview offer. If your application is subpar, you are at a greater disadvantage than if you have very-good stats, etc..