apply w old MCAT or wait until new score in july - COVID edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wya2020

Reaction score
Im an Indiana resident. My gpa is a 3.83 and science is 3.77. I took the MCAT last year and got a 502 (chem:123/CARS:127/bio:126/psych:126). My score was much lower than my practice exams so I decided to take a gap year to study and raise it. So I did not apply last cycle at all.

Now, with COVID, I am wondering whether I should submit my app with this score, or if I should wait until I retake the MCAT June 27 with score release July 14 to submit my applications. I do not want to be denied from schools based on my first MCAT, especially as I would like to apply to some mid-range schools on the basis of my GPA; however, I also want to use rolling admissions to my advantage. Will schools wait to look at my app if it says I have a pending MCAT score or could they dismiss me on the basis of the 502 they do have?

*note: I am waiting until the scheduling opens to reschedule my date as my test date was cancelled. If I am unable to secure a test date until July 18 or so, would that hinder my chances? If I have the option of late June or late July, should I pick one over the other or would it not really matter. Pros of July: More study time Cons: score release not until august 4

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have basically the same question. Best of luck this cycle. I'm going to message a few schools to see if they have a preference one way or the other.

With a 502, I would wait for the new score. In terms of when you take your exam, the correct answer is to take it whenever you will be best able to earn a significant improvement. You likely need to increase your score by 6+ points for it to have an impact on your application. If you can do that by the end of June, perfect. If it takes till the end of July, that's ok. Try to have your secondary applications completed by Labor Day or within the first two weeks of September.