Applying 2021, Need Advising

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuretrashwoman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently enrolled in a one year Post-Bacc certificate program with the goal to prove to medical schools I can handle the curriculum. I ended my undergrad with a cGPA 3.45 and sGPA 3.00. I did 2.5 years clinical research, 1 year public health research, 3 years of underrepresented student mentoring, and hospital/non-clinical community service.

I want to apply for the 2021 cycle but there are a few things I am concerned about and would really appreciate if anyone could comment/advise me.

I am taking the MCAT on May 21. The reason I chose this date is because my post-bacc ends in early August and only following the completion of my program will I have my committee letter. The latest I would be submitting my complete application would be August 20th-ish. Do I need the committee letter to receive secondaries? Is applying late August going to really hinder my interview hope?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can submit your primary application without all your LORs attached, and go back to edit/add them later. I submitted my primary not long after it was available to submit (early June) without having all my letters!

you will still receive secondaries once your primary is verified, however you cannot submit secondaries without all LORs attached. Since most secondaries have deadlines ranging from one week to one month, I would recommend trying to time this to coincide with when you will get your committee letter. I don’t think you have to wait until August 20th to submit your primary though because the verification process takes awhile anyway :)

Reactions: 1 user
You can submit your primary application without all your LORs attached, and go back to edit/add them later. I submitted my primary not long after it was available to submit (early June) without having all my letters!

you will still receive secondaries once your primary is verified, however you cannot submit secondaries without all LORs attached. Since most secondaries have deadlines ranging from one week to one month, I would recommend trying to time this to coincide with when you will get your committee letter. I don’t think you have to wait until August 20th to submit your primary though because the verification process takes awhile anyway :)

Taking the MCAT in May is fine, and definitely still submit your primary day one. This last paragraph isn't true though. You can submit secondaries without having LORs sent in to schools yet. You just won't be complete at schools until it is sent in. This has nothing to do with the secondary deadlines, but the earlier the better of course.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

This paragraph is wrong. Don’t pay any attention to it. Apply when you are ready and have the best possible application. You can certainly submit secondaries without LORs attached. Schools are very used to receiving letters, especially committee letters, well after secondaries. Don’t wait for August to apply. Schools will send out secondaries when they are ready. Some do it quickly to everyone who applies. Some screen and not everyone get a secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
The problem with waiting is that your date is a long time from when the primary application opens and you want to finish and submit your primary application within a few weeks (at most) of opening. Obviously some stuff is out of your hands but that will help you in terms of getting early interview slots since schools have so many applications to get through, you know. Best of luck.