Applying after Senior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephannie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, well I'm a little confused about something, maybe you guys can help me.
IF I apply to Med School at the end of my Senior year, what do I do during that gap year? The year I'm applying. What if I just wanted my GPA to reflect my Senior year grades? Is that year, the year you do a SMP, if you want? I don't want to just not do anything, plus if since I've taken loans out and I only have six months after school is over, than after that empty year, I would have to start paying my debt from undergrad?

Wow I'm sorry I just realized how confusing this sounds :/

Members don't see this ad.

In order to maintain your student status and delay repayment of your educational loans, you could delay graduating from college by taking on a minor or another major, as an excuse, and spend another (fifth) year as an undergrad during your application year. Or you could apply for an SMP soon and get accepted in time to matriculate in fall 2011. If you did not need any GPA repair, you could also do a one-year traditional masters.

Like Catalystik said, you will have to take on a minor or a second major if you want to delay repaying your loans. However, an SMP is for students who are borderline and need to demonstrate they can handle medical school courses. Unless you fall in that category, then you should not do an SMP.

People ask this question all the time. If your application is good as is, and doesn't need research, GPA rehab, etc, find something you like and are qualified for and get a job. Find the highest paying job you can (ie industry research vs university lab asst., finance, etc) if you have loans to repay. What was your major? A masters degree that you don't need or really want is an expensive waste of your time. There's always starbucks.:smuggrin:
I was an ocean lifeguard. Great fun. It was the opposite of everything that was going to follow, and a wonderful break. I do wish I wore more sunscreen, but my skin seems to have held up, and I had a savage tan. It was a nice topic of conversation at the interviews.