Applying after sophmore year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alok

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the advantages and disadvantages of applying after 2nd year in college? Is it looked down upon?

I'll be able to graduate in 3 years instead of 4 years and am applying this summer. (i'm a sophmore)

Do any of know stats or know someone who did get into med school by applying one year early??

Members don't see this ad.

If you have enough credits due to APs and the like, I don't see any disadvantages outside of having fewer experiences than your fellow applicants (both in terms of life experience and ECs). Your application may look weaker compared to folks who were in school for a year more and took advantage of that extra year to try out different things that enriched them personally, let alone older applicants. However, as long as you have been able to be active outside of academics and can discuss that in your essays and interview instead of coming off as someone who was just rushing into medical school at all costs, you should be ok. Just make sure you got your expected graduation date and everything on your apps so that the schools know you'll have a degree by the time you matriculate there.

Whats your GPA/MCAT?

If you're using APs to graduate early are you sure the med schools you're applying to will take those credits? A lot will not accept AP for the year of English/writing even if your college did.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the advantages and disadvantages of applying after 2nd year in college? Is it looked down upon?

I'll be able to graduate in 3 years instead of 4 years and am applying this summer. (i'm a sophmore)

Do any of know stats or know someone who did get into med school by applying one year early??

Some schools have reservations about younger applicants. Maturity is a big deal for med schools since you will be dealing with death, disease and much older patients. Not that younger people cannot be mature, but it's sometimes a harder sell -- people change quite a bit in the 19-21 age range. And I agree with the above poster who suggested that you will have a year less of ECs to sell yourself with. The "why medicine?" question may be harder since you will have had less time to expose yourself to other options, which is a component of making an informed decision. If I were you, I would (1) enjoy college rather than rush through it (for many it is the most enjoyable 4 years of their lives -- easy schedule, no responsibilities, lots of access to alcohol, parties, dating), or (2) consider working for a year, perhaps research, and buff up the ECs while making a little money for med school, and really make sure this is the right path for you. This is not a race, and the people who rush into things often go through angst later wondering if they made a rash decision. My two cents.

I know someone who did this. He got in just fine. If you have the ECs, the true desire to be a doctor, the grades, etc., there is no reason to not apply early if that's what you want to do. Heck, a kid in my class started at 17!

I applied to a limited number of med schools after my second year with a GPA of 3.9+ and a 30ish MCAT. I had a year of research, and a variety of health-related volunteer positions, jobs, and shadowing. If I had been an SDN member at the time, it might have detered me, as it is a common position here that maturity and breadth of experience is preferred by most med schools. Regardless, I was accepted (at age 20), will graduate in three years next week, and will attend med school in the fall. I feel I am very fortunate, as many amazing, well-qualified applicants are still waiting to hear. (I didn't know about the "apply broadly" recommendation either.)

My stats and EC's are pretty competitive. I have a gpa above 3.9 and will have enough credits to graduate. I'm not depending on any of my AP credits, even though I have taken all the basic AP classes in high school. I've taken all the required pre-med classes. The only class i'm missing is one semester of english, which i plan to take in the fall semester.

I'm also participating in a summer research program over the summer and worked in an optometry lab for about one year now. i've also volunteered at the free clinic as well as in the local hospital (have over 100 hours). I've taken the MCAT in April, for which, by the way, i get the score in about a week. ( :oops: )

And, i'm applying to CA and Texas schools since I study in CA, but my parents are in Texas (i'm dependent on them...)

Having said all that, do you think i have a good chance at CA and/or Texas schools? :confused:

Dookter, there's a student in your med school of age 17?? Interesting! I remember reading a post couple of weeks ago about some kid who was like 12 or something that was in medical school up in the north east, in Chicago i think?

It's amazing that a medical school would accept someone so young, especially considering their maturity level and all. I think they just accepted him to see what would become of him, kind of like an observational experiment.

I was accepted (at age 20), will graduate in three years next week, and will attend med school in the fall. I feel I am very fortunate, as many amazing, well-qualified applicants are still waiting to hear.

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your summer!

Dookter, there's a student in your med school of age 17?? Interesting! I remember reading a post couple of weeks ago about some kid who was like 12 or something that was in medical school up in the north east, in Chicago i think?

It's amazing that a medical school would accept someone so young, especially considering their maturity level and all. I think they just accepted him to see what would become of him, kind of like an observational experiment.

Well, he's 18 now. He was 17 when school started several months ago.

what undergrad do you go to? A 3.9 with all your pre-req's done and expecting to graduate in 3 years would mean that you would have to be taking 4 classes a quarter for the whole two years with most of them being science classes, and getting A's in all of them. If that is the case, then your probably a genius and it wouldn't hurt to take a shot at med school. If you don't get in, you can always apply again. :thumbup: