applying Allopathic and Osteopathic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EthBroca

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
obviously applying to allopathic schools and osteopathic schools doesn't show much commitment to either philosophy. as a student applying to medical school, i realize there are many other factors which go into choosing a school. personally, the osteopathic philosophy fits better with the type of medicine i want to practice. i really want to know how bad/good of an idea is it to apply to allopathic and osteopathic schools.

Members don't see this ad.

i've applied to a few osteopathic schools and now i am considering applying to an allopathic school. i know the osteopathic philosophy and have shadowed a D.O.. i worry that applying to an allopathic school now will reflect poorly on my commitment to the osteopathic philosophy. i definitely may just be paranoid. however, i feel that the osteopathic philosophy strives to preserve its identity and COMs are looking for students who will continue the osteopathic tradition, especially of omm. i dont want to send the message that my priority is to get into medical school.

I applied to both and I'm not worried about it at all. If they ask, I will honest with them. I prefer the osteopathic route, but my top priority *is* to get into medical school. I am more interested in being a doctor than in anything else. My own views of how medicine should be delivered is more in line with the osteopathic view, but it's not completely out of sync with allopathy.

I think osteopathic schools are probably more interested in knowing that you know what osteopathy is rather than just applying because someone told you it was easier to get into!

Good luck to you.

Willow

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks willow.

you make a good point. my top priority is also to get into school--but not just any school. like you i have a good idea of the type of education im looking for. i have never heard of anyone having problems because they applied to both allopathic and osteopathic schools. best of luck to you and thanks for the input.

willow said it very well. i'm applying to one allopathic school - my dad's alma mater just because it's in state and cheaper for me in terms of tuition. i guess that's what i'd say...but thanks willow for putting into words how many of us do feel =)

I totally understand what you mean about not wanting to go to just any school! I'm in a position, though, where I have to consider an entire family so I had to be extra choosy (choosey? how do you spell that?) in where I applied. I applied to the in-state school for the tuition, mainly, though it is a good school.

The others schools were chosen for a variety of reasons--location, innovative programs, or their particular focus (primary care or rural healthcare or whatever). With a couple of exceptions, I think I chose allopathic schools that were good alternatives to the osteopathic schools. I wish I had the option of applying to 20 schools--and I might not have applied to more than 1 allopathic school if that was an option. But, I have a husband and 2 kids who have to go along. Dang family commitments! :)

Just don't go to an interview and say anything that makes it sound like that school is your "back-up"! That will probably make a bad impression anywhere. Well, I really wanted to go to Harvard, but I'll *settle* for your little osteopathic school here.... Nobody likes to be second choice.

~Will~

willow--thanks again.
the important issue is why we choose the schools we do. i havent applied to any osteopathic schools that didnt want me to explain why i chose osteopathic medicine. after writing all those essays about why osteopathic medicine was such a good choice for me, i felt id be betraying my interest applying to an allopathic school. the truth is the allopathic school im looking at is a good choice for many of the same reasons the osteopathic schools were. maybe the two philosophies arent as dramatically different as some people sometimes like to pretend. the truth is, like you, i can justify applying to both without discrediting my values. i would love to commit myself to the osteopathic philosophy but primarily i want to work with the community and serve the people, i want to study the science and i want to practice GOOD medicine. my biggest concern will definitely be to not let any schools feel like a safety.

best of luck to you and your family willow.

Originally posted by WillowRose
I totally understand what you mean about not wanting to go to just any school! I'm in a position, though, where I have to consider an entire family so I had to be extra choosy (choosey? how do you spell that?) in where I applied. I applied to the in-state school for the tuition, mainly, though it is a good school.

The others schools were chosen for a variety of reasons--location, innovative programs, or their particular focus (primary care or rural healthcare or whatever). With a couple of exceptions, I think I chose allopathic schools that were good alternatives to the osteopathic schools. I wish I had the option of applying to 20 schools--and I might not have applied to more than 1 allopathic school if that was an option. But, I have a husband and 2 kids who have to go along. Dang family commitments!
Just don't go to an interview and say anything that makes it sound like that school is your "back-up"! That will probably make a bad impression anywhere. Well, I really wanted to go to Harvard, but I'll *settle* for your little osteopathic school here.... Nobody likes to be second choice.

~Will~

I know what you are going through. I also have a husband and 2 kids. It is hard when your committed to family as well as med school. I gave up my seat in a med school's class last year. My husband wasn't able to find a job and I wasn't prepared to leave my kids temporarily. Now I hope he can find a job, but if he can't we are going to have to split our family right down the middle. I really don't want to do that and miss living in the same house as my son during his last year of high school. Decision time will be rough.

All you single students have it made when it come time to decide wher you are going to go. You can thank your lucky stars.:oops: