Applying and drop in mcat score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPedigree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had an mcat score of 509 (129/124/128/128) and applied late last cycle and to very little schools (10ish) and failed to get in. I retook my mcat and scored a 507 (127/125/127/128). I am not sure how I dropped I scored a 512 on the AAMC a week before. I am not sure what to do if I should retake or not. Do I have any chance at MD schools? Thanks

Edit: I have a 3.8gpa and good EC's, research etc.

Members don't see this ad.

The drop in the MCAT score coupled with your reapplicant status makes it harder to get into MD schools. You can try a few new ones/low tiers like OUWB, Albany, NYMC etc. and your state schools, but you should focus on applying largely to DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I would not retake it. Take the 507 and apply to low tier MD and DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
The drop in the MCAT score coupled with your reapplicant status makes it harder to get into MD schools. You can try a few new ones/low tiers like OUWB, Albany, NYMC etc. and your state schools, but you should focus on applying largely to DO schools.
I agree. Unfortunately, it's never advisable to retake a decent score, unless you were scoring 520 on practice tests and had a really bad day and scored a 509. Even an improvement of 1-3 points probably wouldn't have helped you. You may have a shot at some lower tier MDs and your state schools, but your chances are lower this cycle since you're a reapplicant. Apply to both DO/MD, but focus on DO schools. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
3.8/509 and wide MD apps should have gotten you something. Now you should apply wide to MD and DO. GL