Applying as a couple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardinal2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice for someone who wants to apply to medical school with their fiance? We're both good students (39, 3.7, and 37, 3.9) with all the right ECs and top 5 undergrad. But even with that, I feel the odds of getting into the same place are pretty slim. Any advice or ways to help the odds?

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone who was in the same position. He and his fiancee limited their applications to cities that had more than one med school. The higher-selectivity school he most wanted to attend took a second look at her application because they wanted him so much, at his behest (she had no ties to the area, but he did), ended up accepting her as well, and both got hefty merit scholarships that made attending that private school on-par with costs at their state schools. I think high-stat folks like you two will have an advantage in this situation, but maybe hedge the bet by choosing schools that have other med schools in proximity.

Thanks a lot for the response. Would you recommend every mentioning it in the application/interview process or only in the case where one person is accepted and the other is waitlisted? And are there other cities that are good for having a lot of schools besides New York, Boston, and Philly?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for the response. Would you recommend every mentioning it in the application/interview process or only in the case where one person is accepted and the other is waitlisted? And are there other cities that are good for having a lot of schools besides New York, Boston, and Philly?

They actually ask in the secondary sometimes. I would mention it since you both have great stats (and hopefully good ECs). as far as other cities...hmmm

ny, philly, boston, chicago, a few in the dc/maryland/va region, tobacco road (wake forest, unc, duke), etc

St Louis has two.

I've read on SDN that unless you're married, they generally don't take a relationship into account in the decision-making process. But I agree with the above, that because your numbers are all great, you're in a better position than most would be.

so lets see, if you apply to all the boston, ny, philly schools (you can live with each other if you stay in these cities and get into diff schools)

thats harvard, bu, tufts, nyu, mssm, cornell, columbia, aecom, penn, jeff, temple, drexel

and chicago would be chicago, nw, uic, rfu, rush, loyola (i might be totally wrong since i didn't apply here)

adding UCs to that makes it for a really broad list already

Wash U and St Louis U are right across the street from each other (I've heard).

Also consider adding Hopkins and Maryland to your list, they're like two miles away from each other, if that

It seems like the midwest is more accommodating about this - both michigan and wash u stl asked on their app if you were applying as a couple. So I would add those schools (and SLU) for sure. As others have said, NYC, Chicago, Boston and Philly all have lots - Maybe pick 2-3 of those four cities to focus on to increase your odds of being together without bankrupting yourselves in the process.

Of the UCs, UCSD seemed to be the only one I applied to that cared that the location was good for my SO. I think you guys have great odds there - they are the most numbers oriented (imo) of the UCs and you both have great numbers.