applying as a fake minority

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it's interesting to note that the ratios of matriculants to applicants are pretty similar across the board.
Hispanic: (1,283/2,771) 46%
Black: (1,155/2,906) 40%
Asian: (3,242/7,532) 43%
Native American: (68/146) 47%
Native Hawaiin/OPI: (33/111) 30%
White: (10,541/22,669) 46%
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/mcatgparaceeth.htm

Interesting statistics. But again, people don't get it about the HORRID word HISPANIC... it isn't real... It is a WORD used by RICHARD NIXON to combat affirmative action against the people it was intented for. African Americans or in the very least of black african decent. What it does is allows the creaming of the cofee to become lighter and lighter while still showing some diversity.

The problem I have with it that those 46% hispanics are lumped together like an aisle in walmart. You have to scan everything before you make a conclusion. You can BE WHITE as the POPE and claim you are hispanic. GET IT PEOPLE there are WHITE, caucasian HISPANICS... AAMC isn't stupid to this fact either. That is why the choose isn't Hispanic but rather white and NON-White hispanic. However, the statistic you just showed above is all hispanics together. So yes, it would make sense that they do have an higher trend over AA's.

With that said a lot of schools are getting tired of this too. and Actually discounting the "hispanic" checked box. meaning this could actually have no added weight to your application... IN FACT at my school one of the ADCOMS SAID it... and yes it PEAVED about 15 latino's off who heard him say it. "we are really looking for good AFRICAN AMERICAN candidates." Of course the reaction was, "well what about hispanics" and he flat out said no they're not considered URM's.... Now, personally I think he needs to read a little more into it because he was full of it. and it scares me this guy has a high of position he does and was speaking like that but I understood a little of his point.

I recently went to graduaction for U of Miami's law school. This was a year ago and the class was overlly caucasian to my EYE... However, the names they were calling off were Lopez this and Rivera that and Sanchez this. I was like OMG... that isn't diversity that is the spanish inquisistion. LOL, yea yea spelling. But the actuall people of color was about 10 if at best. I don't know if they were black Cubans or Detroit African Americans but I know that as far as color is concerned I thought the school was a little lacking in the area of true diversity.

What is the point.

African Americans are the ones who trulley need any type of Assistance. They wear their difference right on their skin. No hiding it or conceiling it, unless your MJ. But what about the super dark Hatian who's father owns three business's and the kid never had to work while in school and has awesome grades and good MCAT. Was he disadvantaged NOOOOO.... What about the poor white kid that lives in Harlem or Compton and suffers the same BS of a viscous cycle one could only read about or watch on various movies? What about that white kid, male or female? To me they are just of in need of a little help. to me it isn't about race now it is about class. However, I contradict myself because why is it that the darker you are the more population of poor you have in concentration. The white kid in Harlem or Compton is the minority not the majority. Therefore, on the whole the life chances for a large percentage of African Americans is lower, much lower and they need help getting out of that rut. You know it is almost easier, coming here from another country and starting fresh than it is getting out of the slums and ghetto's of America's inner cities.

You all need to have a more open mind on this subject and learn a little before spewing nonesense.

for me, I am at a cross roads because while my father was from Cuba he was obviously of African decent. Sort of dominican looking. My mother is italian and is white for all intensive purposes. I look like your typical latin person that isn't obviously caucasian. You wouldn't hear my last name and think HISpANIC because my father died and my mother remarried. And my father was a real piece of crap so she didn't even want me to have his last name. I grew up poor and for the most part inner city schools. Tell me what box I should check?

Members don't see this ad.

If there was no admission advantage to being a URM, this thread and threads like it wouldn't exist. For it or agin' it, at least have the intellectual honesty to admit that being a legitimate URM makes up a little (or a lot) for otherwise lower-than-average-for-your-cohort grades and MCAT scores.

And by definition, if you get in over somebody else with better grades and who is a "better person" (or whatever the hell other stupid criteria are involved in the admission beauty pageant) by virtue of your skin color you have pushed somebody out of a spot.

Schools are looking to see if you were disadvantaged in some way and how you were able to overcome this disadvantage, not your box-checking skills.

So why would a middle or upper class African American qualify for URM over a white person who grew up in a trailer park ? An extreme example maybe but valid. There are for instance many many middle-class Hispanic/latino/mestizo, etc. families whose children never lacked for anything. Should they qualify?

That is the problem with affirmative action. It doesnt take into account a person's background just the color of his skin. What it should look at is the perosn's socio-economic background - i.e. parents education, jobs, residence, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)

for me, I am at a cross roads because while my father was from Cuba he was obviously of African decent. Sort of dominican looking. My mother is italian and is white for all intensive purposes. I look like your typical latin person that isn't obviously caucasian. You wouldn't hear my last name and think HISpANIC because my father died and my mother remarried. And my father was a real piece of crap so she didn't even want me to have his last name. I grew up poor and for the most part inner city schools. Tell me what box I should check?

Your "father" was a Cuban of African decent, Afro-Cuban.

What box do you want to check? How do you define yourself? That's what's most important.

http://afrocubaweb.com/cubabegins.htm

If there was no admission advantage to being a URM, this thread and threads like it wouldn't exist. For it or agin' it, at least have the intellectual honesty to admit that being a legitimate URM makes up a little (or a lot) for otherwise lower-than-average-for-your-cohort grades and MCAT scores.

And by definition, if you get in over somebody else with better grades and who is a "better person" (or whatever the hell other stupid criteria are involved in the admission beauty pageant) by virtue of your skin color you have pushed somebody out of a spot.

Well said. :thumbup:

Yeah. Misrepresenting yourself is a great idea. And while you're at it, why not cheat on your undergrad exams to get better grades, write fake LoR's, hide your three DUI's and make up your volunteer experiences??? *dripping sarcasm*

It's rather interesting that a lot of those who has the biggest problem with the promotion of diversity in education are people, who're unable to be accepted to medical schools. They might as well point their anger towards those applicants who, by virtue of their family and upbringing, has attended only the best schools, and received everything in terms of money, support and advice from family and/or connections. Fairness, it seems, is often in the eye of the beholder.

This subject has been flogged to death numerous times. NOBODY is accepted solely on the basis of their "numbers" (GPA, MCAT, whatever). If that was the case, you could just have a computer assigning student spots. Medical schools are interested in a diverse and complementary student body. So sometimes your 4.00 GPA/42 MCAT applicant is rejected, and sometimes your 3.2 GPA/28 MCAT is accepted.

So, if medical schools wants students from diverse backgrounds, would it make sense to include what social background an applicant comes from? Of course it does. As long as a specific background doesn't give entitlement to med school acceptance. But if anybody can prove that somebody was accepted solely on the basis of their URM status, I'd very much like to see this evidence.

What you say makes alot of sense but the fact remains that medical schools primary goal is NOT diversity but producing great doctors so they have to look at past academic performance. That is why being an URM does not give one a big advantage but more like an extra point or so when being weighed by the academic committee. I highly doubt MOST (there are some exceptions as always ) schools would accept a severely subpar student just because they are an URM simply because a.) diversity is not served by having URM's fail out of medical schools and b.) there are plenty of URM's who are perfectly qualified on their own merits for admission.

Regardless, the % of URMs in med school is around ~12% (~2000/~17000, per class). URMs cannot be used honestly as a scapegoat for the reason unsuccessful applicants do not get into med school. They may play a role for borderline applicants, but in all honesty, I think the finger should first point right back at the ''pointer''.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the latest figures are for minorities as a percentage of the US population ?

They are trying to improve access to healthcare for minorities so that our healthcare system could improve. We spend the most on healthcare but have the most disparity in access. Otherwise we could go to a system(socialized medicine) that will force us to go practice in those underserved areas(something we have voluntarily refused to do thus far). If you have a genuine interest in improving medical access in th U.S, you need to stop whinning about URMs.

What you say makes alot of sense but the fact remains that medical schools primary goal is NOT diversity but producing great doctors so they have to look at past academic performance. That is why being an URM does not give one a big advantage but more like an extra point or so when being weighed by the academic committee. I highly doubt MOST (there are some exceptions as always ) schools would accept a severely subpar student just because they are an URM simply because a.) diversity is not served by having URM's fail out of medical schools and b.) there are plenty of URM's who are perfectly qualified on their own merits for admission.

If this assertion is correct, why would their average GPA/MCAT be so much lower? Surely the schools are not going out of the way to accept less-qualified URMs over more-qualified URMs?

It's interesting that Hispanics have a higher acceptance rate than Blacks, given that their history here is shorter and they tend to be on the same level socio-economically.

Maybe educationally there is a social/cultural problem.

That is the problem with the term Hispanic. You cannot lump illegal immigrants from El Slavador, middle-class families from Mexico, and pHD's from Cuba all in the same category just because they speak the same language ( or their parents did anyhows ) because these are vastly different groups. While African American,or black, is a more homogenous group ( at least until the large immigration waves from Africa and the West Indies started in the last two decades ), Hispanics often have nothing except language in common. For proof, just follow the politics of the Hispanic groups or study the culture of their native countries. So while some Hispanics might have similar backgrounds to African Americans, quite a few dont share anything in common.

That is the problem with the term Hispanic. You cannot lump illegal immigrants from El Slavador, middle-class families from Mexico, and pHD's from Cuba all in the same category just because they speak the same language ( or their parents did anyhows ) because these are vastly different groups. While African American,or black, is a more homogenous group ( at least until the large immigration waves from Africa and the West Indies started in the last two decades ), Hispanics often have nothing except language in common. For proof, just follow the politics of the Hispanic groups or study the culture of their native countries. So while some Hispanics might have similar backgrounds to African Americans, quite a few dont share anything in common.

I'm Hispanic, so I would know that (BTW, Hispanic is the term I prefer).

But a Latino/Hispanic/Whatever is still one regardless of skin color, since we share a language and a culture (although specifics of the culture vary from country to country).

So, am I different from half of my cousins because they look darker (more typically Hispanic) than I do? And is my blond cousin different from me because he's blond? The truth is we are not different.

In that case, there are (mainly wealthy) African Americans whose parents came from Haiti, from Nigeria, etc, and who have never really had much economic need. They do, however, still identify better with the typical *American* African American group.

There is race, then there is nationality.

I think it is unethical and quite frankly disgusting to represent yourself as a minority simply for the sake of admissions but I agree with some of these aforementioned losers who say that minority status confers a significant advantage. The 6 pt. difference in avg. MCAT scores of URM and ORM matriculants would support this claim.

A 6 point difference IN AND OF ITSELF doesn't actually tell you that much, such as which schools are getting an influx of lower MCAT scores, etc.

So why would a middle or upper class African American qualify for URM over a white person who grew up in a trailer park ? An extreme example maybe but valid. There are for instance many many middle-class Hispanic/latino/mestizo, etc. families whose children never lacked for anything. Should they qualify?

That is the problem with affirmative action. It doesnt take into account a person's background just the color of his skin. What it should look at is the perosn's socio-economic background - i.e. parents education, jobs, residence, etc.

That's what the adcomms DO. They're not stupid.

Anyway, this whole thread is just nasty flames and should really be shut. It's been discussed before. Problem with the whole "oh no, people could lie!!" thing is that they could lie about every other part of the application. We all know that. And lying is bad and can get one into trouble. We all know that. No real need to go yelling about people taking one's place. If people are saying yea, sure, any advantage given should be based on one's actual set of circumstances like money growing up and stuff instead of race, what really makes you think it's not like that? How can you go inside the aggregated numbers we get, and say hey, those were *rich* black people who were getting in over *poor* white people? How do you know it's not rich black people and rich white people both screwing over the poor black and poor white, or that the poverty isn't taken into account by the adcomms? There aren't stats on these things. People can pull whatever they want out of their asses on this, thus it's a stupid thread.

My take is, if you want to complain about the black people taking your spots you can just as well complain about richer people taking your spots with the greater opportunities they had. Or you could say poorer people take your spots because the adcomms pay attention to that, but personally I'm thinking more rich people lie about the extent their wealth helped them ("nah, not that much") than people lie about the extent their race affected them ("oh, so much!").

Members don't see this ad :)
They are trying to improve access to healthcare for minorities so that our healthcare system could improve. We spend the most on healthcare but have the most disparity in access. Otherwise we could go to a system(socialized medicine) that will force us to go practice in those underserved areas(something we have voluntarily refused to do thus far). If you have a genuine interest in improving medical access in th U.S, you need to stop whinning about URMs.

The debate here is how best to achieve the goal of equalizing access to healthcare. I don't believe affirmative action is effective in achieving that goal. It doesn't mean that I don't have an interest in improving medical access.

Anyway, this whole thread is just nasty flames and should really be shut.

I actually thought it was an interesting and thought-provoking discussion. Most of the posters here (both those with whom I agree and those with whom I differ) have brought up points that are worth talking about. :)

I actually thought it was an interesting and thought-provoking discussion. Most of the posters here (both those with whom I agree and those with whom I differ) have brought up points that are worth talking about. :)

I agree, it's been very civil so far. I've seen other URM/AA threads that are very scary.

The moment I tell people that a student got into harvard with a 25, the next question becomes ''is he/she black?" and when I tell them asian, they tell me he must have had a stellar GPA and amazing EC's. Why can't it be an AA or a minority applicant.
We all blame our short comings on these set of people, it shouldn't be. In one of the schools I interviewed at, there were about 30 applicants of which 15 of them were AAs yet they only have 7 of them in their MS1 class of 150 students.
I have met very intelligent AAs but it really it really doesn't matter what these people do, 25, 35 or 40 MCATs, people will still look down on them in medical school; This is simply sad.
I believe this should not be the issue at hand, If our generation continues this way, I don't know when this madness will end........

I love that these threads keep popping up. Actually, the topic usually is pretty interesting, but it only takes one person (see: Troll) to start the war. Anyways, I've continued to say the same thing: URM won't make a candidate, but it will make an average one good, and a good one great. I think my mdapps speaks for itself. The advantage of having such a policy will/should continued to be debated, but it's here to stay for the time though. I still feel that the best applicants, regardless of race, are going to get in.

Shirley, you're not suggesting that adcoms are intellectually dishonest?

http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4379303&postcount=78

How does it push someone out, are you suggesting that schools deliberately reject a qualified candidate for an URM because of their color - that's racism Panda and I doubt it happens in the selection process.

No one pushes anyone out of a spot; any belief in that statement asserts that the 3 URM's in a class of 100 students to about 95 whites are not supposed to be there. I think the way people approach this issue is too general and too extreme.

If this assertion is correct, why would their average GPA/MCAT be so much lower? Surely the schools are not going out of the way to accept less-qualified URMs over more-qualified URMs?
--

Now THIS is a good question. As far as the pre-med group in my previous school went: the members of URM were really busting a$$ with their GPA, I think the lowest I've heard was a 3.7something. Really bright, and a couple of intimidating scholarly types too. The ones applying that round were extremely competitive, a couple high 30s MCATs even. Only one got in... I lost touch with the others when I switched schools.

So I don't know what is up with the low averages in med schools

I wonder how this argument is going to shape up in 2046 when whites are estimated to officially become a minority group.

Almostin I completely agree with you. Some ppl think being part of the minority is an advantage when at times its a disadvantage. Everyone will always question your credibility. I don't want someone to say or even think that I got into school based on my race. The viewpoints of some ppl (that african americans score low on standard exams and gpa) is really a motivation because I intend to prove that I am not the "standard" URM.

How does it push someone out, are you suggesting that schools deliberately reject a qualified candidate for an URM because of their color - that's racism Panda

No one pushes anyone out of a spot; any belief in that statement asserts that the 3 URM's in a class of 100 students to about 95 whites are not supposed to be there. I think the way people approach this issue is too general and too extreme.

The AAMC themselves stated that 794 applicants in the 2001 admissions cycle alone were rejected in favor of URMs.

I don't believe that anyone is LET into medical school. Each person who EARNS an acceptance did so because they have accomplished something; this includes URMs. As applicants, who are we to judge the value of another's achievements?

Secondly, AMCAS does provide an opportunity for anyone to indicate that they were disadvantaged. All things being equal, ADCOMS would probably accept the student who succeeded despite real disadvantages (regardless of race) before the person who is an URM but not disadvantaged.

Assuming that being a URM improves chances of acceptance, changing to a system based on diversity of SES would probably produce similar results. Why? Because race is a proxy for socioeconomic status in the U.S.

The fact of the matter is, no matter how wealthy you are, if you're a minority, you are at a social disadvantage compared to others in the same SES level. This social disadvantage has been demonstrated in poorer health outcomes, lower income/wage earnings, higher incarceration rates, and higher mortgage rates to name a few.

Yeah i said i was black on the amcas (i am really white). At interviews they have that minority society that met with me and were taken a-back as i was in a meeting with 2 black students and i am white. well one finally asked me

B1: are you really black?
Me: well .....i would say that i am part black.
B2: well what part is black?
Me: I cant show you that would be sexual harrassment!

Needless to say i got accepted!:rolleyes:

The AAMC themselves stated that 794 applicants in the 2001 admissions cycle alone were rejected in favor of URMs.

does that also count as the total URM that got accepted in that year? Do you have a more recent one because 2001 seem a little too old for me to work with?

That's not the real issue, the problem is people blame rejection on other people however some of the things I see in some of these school alerts me to the danger of this type of thinking. I think it creates more disparity and our generation is supposed to be more open and receptive.

Yeah i said i was black on the amcas (i am really white). At interviews they have that minority society that met with me and were taken a-back as i was in a meeting with 2 black students and i am white. well one finally asked me

B1: are you really black?
Me: well .....i would say that i am part black.
B2: well what part is black?
Me: I cant show you that would be sexual harrassment!

Needless to say i got accepted!:rolleyes:

"How long, O Lord, How long?"

does that also count as the total URM that got accepted in that year? Do you have a more recent one because 2001 seem a little too old for me to work with?

That's not the real issue, the problem is people blame rejection on other people however some of the things I see in some of these school alerts me to the danger of this type of thinking. I think it creates more disparity and our generation is supposed to be more open and receptive.

Correction. The number was larger than I thought. The AAMC themselves stated that 1,331 applicants in the 2001 admissions cycle alone were rejected in favor of URMs. Total URM acceptance number was 1,868 for 2001.

Good point. I guess it's easier to blame a rejection on a URM who MAY have similar/lower stats as opposed to blaming the other 95% of the class who had presumably better stats, ECs, or weren't arrogant enough to think that they deserved an acceptance...

I doubt people at Washington University look at their URM classmates and think, he/she probably got a 25 on his MCAT and shouldn't be here... The only reason I used WashU is because of their reputation for having the highest matriculant MCAT average...

Well I'm going to put down that I'm white (I'm really black) and see if I can get in that way. Truthfully when I look @ the MSAR and see how many african-american students are there I think I'd rather take my chances and put down white and see if I have a better chance that way. If I don't get in I'll just yell and scream that someone who checked off URM stole my spot....this is not sarcasm. I'm serious

I guess I need to post this again, since its turning into ANOTHER aa thread:

Here's a little help for your research on AA:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=332618&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=332544&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=331226&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=324769&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=323889&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=306866&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=306866&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=315055&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=262097&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=309219&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=46604&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=306827&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=12020&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=286946&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=286302&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=285817&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=283152&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=281362&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=270608&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=274301&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=235379&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=239656&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=235599&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=235528&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=234632&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=234441&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=233933&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=221780&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=221853&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=235599&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=215366&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=208025&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=203685&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=203601&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=203601&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=190172&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=70922&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=186948&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=182886&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=179526&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=175977&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=174092&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=173587&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=168516&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=165859&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=162406&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=159790&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=155920&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=151874&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=150933&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=141039&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=132594&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=134799&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=134683&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=133164&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=133164&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=119146&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=119131&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=95471&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=116785&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...read.php?t=85539&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=102358&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=102533&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=102369&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=53999&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=96949&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=96133&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=95297&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=86457&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=87760&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=78969&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=76640&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=75569&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=74452&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=74149&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=74168&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=71199&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=68499&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=73478&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=73161&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=71384&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=71935&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=71823&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=70811&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=71103&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=68067&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=66957&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=65768&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=67316&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=66935&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=65919&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=66037&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=65889&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=62673&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=61718&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=46603&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=48465&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=56293&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=56307&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=53809&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=51799&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=45309&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=45309&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=43576&highlight=affirmative+action
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=320954&highlight=URM
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=317813&highlight=URM
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=313272&highlight=URM
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=313510&highlight=URM
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=46604&highlight=URM

The figures below are taken from this link on AAMCs site: https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...version53.pdf&prd_id=133&prv_id=154&pdf_id=53 and https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...version71.pdf&prd_id=161&prv_id=191&pdf_id=71

MEDICAL SCHOOL MATRCULANTS BY RACE AND ETHNICITY (2004)
White=62.1%
Asian= 18.6%
Hispanic= 7.0%
Black= 6.5%
Native American= 0.3%
Multiple Race= 3.0%
Other= 1.0%
Foreign= 1.3%

U.S. PHYSICIANS BY RACE AND ETHNICITY (2004)
White=36.7%
IMG=23.6%
Unknown=27.6%
Native American= 0.3%
Black= 3.3%
Hispanic/Latino= 2.8%
Asian= 5.7%

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

1) Why aren't Asians considered for AA?

Because the purpose of AA is to increase the number of physicians that are underrepresented in MEDICINE. As you can see above, Asians are not underrepresented in medicine.

2) Why would the AAMC desire to increase the amount of physicians underrepresented in medicine?

Because this translates to less (for example) Hispanic physicians for the ever increasing hispanic population. Research has shown that Hispanics and blacks receive a lower quality of care from doctors that are not Hispanic and/or black and research has shown that people are more likely to see doctors who look like them.

3) Why not just base AA on socio-economic status?

Do you remember the section on AMCAS where you can check off whether you are disadvantaged or not? That is where socioeconomic status is taken into consideration.

4) Do all URMs get lower scores and get into medical school?

No. Most don't get into medical school and most aren't applying either. The average medical school has at the most 8 black students out of a class of 100 or more. About half of the ~35,000 applicants per year are not admitted to any school. About 10% of those who are admitted are URM and 10% of those who are not admitted are URM. So, currently ~15,750 non-URM do not get admitted to any school. If there were no URM, the number of non-URM who would not be admitted to any school would be ~14,000 (LizzyM)

5) Isn't AA causing me to think that all minorities that are in my medical school got in only because of their race?

Don't blame affirmative action. If you feel this way, there were already preconceived biases within you about the intelligence level of minorities. AA just provides an avenue to openly express these biases.

6) Can I trust a doctor who was admitted to medical school through AA?

Dr. Ben Carson would never be where he is without affirmative action (http://www.press.umich.edu/pdf/0472112988-ch7.pdf). Would you trust your child's brain tumor to be extracted by him? Probably.

7) Has affirmative action worked?

Yes. In a study done by the University of Michigan (although its dated); affirmative action has worked. In the 1970s blacks made up only 2.7% of the 37,690 enrolled medical students. By 1977, blacks comprised 6.0% of the enrolled 60,039 medical students (http://www.press.umich.edu/pdf/0472112988-ch7.pdf)

8) Will black physicians return to black communities?

Yes. They serve predominantly black communities even when they are trained at non-minority medical schools. Also, research has shown that the nonminority peers of black medical students practice in predominantly white communities. (http://www.press.umich.edu/pdf/0472112988-ch7.pdf)

9) Would a race neutral medical school admissions policy produce graduates who would tend to go into underserved areas?

NO. One study shows that a race-neutral AA program produces a quite different outcome. During the 20-yyear period of 1968 to 1987 the University of California at Davis admitted 20% of its students, a total of 356 as special consideration admissions. Special admissions were defined as a race-neutral group that included students with less than a GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) and/or an MCAT average score less than 10 for the 4 test subscores; this group was matched with students admitted under regular admission criteria.

The special group contained 33% who did not meet the minimum GPA for regular admissions, 44% who did not meet minimum MCAT scores, and 23% who met neither. In background the special admissions students were 35% women; 46% non-Hispanic Whites; 42.7% URM in the categories of Black, Native American, Mexican American, mainland Puerto Rican; and 11% Asian and minority groups not included in the previous categories. Among the regularly admitted students, only 4% were URM students. Graduation rates were the SAME for special admission and other students, nor was there a difference in their postgraduate training choices, their specialty certification status, or their description of patients served. This indicates that race-neutral affirmative action based on lower GPA and/or MCAT scores does not predict future speciality or medical practice experience. (Davidson and Lewis 1997).

Yea, I never understand LizzyM's views on AA. She, as an adcom member, says that race confers no advantage in admissions and yet she's heavily pro-AA. I thought the whole point of affirmative action was to give minorities an advantage :confused:

Because unlike selfish/desperate premeds, adcoms are in the business of improving the healthcare of the general public.

Yea, I never understand LizzyM's views on AA. She, as an adcom member, says that race confers no advantage in admissions and yet she's heavily pro-AA. I thought the whole point of affirmative action was to give minorities an advantage :confused:

She's just trying to convince you that your parrot isn't dead. Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it? Beautiful plumage!

Because unlike selfish/desperate premeds, adcoms are in the business of improving the healthcare of the general public.

As much as I disagree with you sometimes, I have to give you this one. Well said.

I'm not quite sure how that answers my question. She's for keeping AA in place while at the same time denies that it exists. Appears to be a paradox :confused:

Hey baylormed. I noticed in your sig that you have UTSW, but your name is baylormed. Did you decide that you liked UTSW over baylor?

:laugh: My name is baylormed because it is the name of my undergrad (Baylor U). The university used to be connected w/ Baylor College of Medicine, but they went separate ways years ago.

Mmm...I wonder what will happen when I wear T-shirts from my undergrad that have BAYLOR stamped in the front while attending UTSW. Interesting...

Hey baylormed. I noticed in your sig that you have UTSW, but your name is baylormed. Did you decide that you liked UTSW over baylor?

:laugh: My name is baylormed because it is the name of my undergrad (Baylor U). The university used to be connected w/ Baylor College of Medicine, but they went separate ways years ago.

Mmm...I wonder what will happen when I wear T-shirts from my undergrad that have BAYLOR stamped in the front while attending UTSW. Interesting...

*busy passing Dr Pepper's to Judge Judy on the sly* :D

I used to have a MAJOR crush on this dude from Baylor!:love:

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/yeary_wes00.html

did anyone catch the all-star game last night? I can't believe that guy put a sticker on the backboard!

and got no extra points for that. How about jason kapono? Arenas sucked a bit though.

Judge Judy? sly? :laugh:

I think that bear (if you're referring to a bear) is long gone. And what is a sly? Did you mean SLiC?

'On the DL, sneaking her a soda..." since they stopped feeding the bear soda.

Girl, I'm old! Baylor has probably gone through a craploada new bears since my heyday!

Tru. Jordan and Dr. J were being extremely stingy with the points. Kapono was amazing (I'm embarrased to say that I hadn't heard of him before that 3 point contest). Sometimes I dream that if this medicine thing didn't work out I could have played basketball, but the odds of getting in there are worse than med school.

'On the DL, sneaking her a soda..." since they stopped feeding the bear soda.

Girl, I'm old! Baylor has probably gone through a craploada new bears since my heyday!

That's right, you cannot feed the bears soda. :eek: The two bears we have right now are pretty small, they are younglins. :D

did anyone catch the all-star game last night? I can't believe that guy put a sticker on the backboard!

The All Star stuff sucked last night. :barf:

It should have been Dwight Howard and Nate Robinson in the Slam Dunk Contest.

The dunks were better in the preliminary rounds as opposed to the final rounds.

I think the highlight of the night was the Barkley vs. Bavetta race.:laugh: