Applying as senior vs graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sseesaww

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an MS4 at a US allopathic school and will be applying the next cycle as I'm expected to graduate a semester late. I wanted to ask if it'd look better to take a leave of absence (and do a research year) in order to remain a senior through the match or to just apply as a graduate. I'm likely applying internal medicine or psychiatry. Any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently an MS4 at a US allopathic school and will be applying the next cycle as I'm expected to graduate a semester late. I wanted to ask if it'd look better to take a leave of absence (and do a research year) in order to remain a senior through the match or to just apply as a graduate. I'm likely applying internal medicine or psychiatry. Any input would be appreciated!
It's almost always better to apply as a "student" than a graduate, no matter what it takes to get there.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need to remain a senior through the match to apply as a student, just through ERAS in September. Your app will be in the right bucket at that point. You could graduate September 16 and you'd still be considered having applied as a graduating US student.

And I agree with APD, the reason for the delay is probably the more important issue.