Applying before taking organic chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NiteOwl

Geek
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you apply before you take organic chemistry 1 and 2? Right now I am taking Organic 1, but I think I may have to withdraw from the class. I was planning on applying next year, but I won't have those classes (I will have all the other pre-reqs completed by then).

I did a search but didn't really find anything. Only if you were missing one pre-req class or 2. This is 2 classes, but I didn't find anything about applying if you haven't taken the whole year of one kind of class. Will this make a difference? I don't want to put off applying by a year due to this unless I absolutely have to.

Members don't see this ad.

the premed reqs need to be finished before you matriculate, but I think that they do want to see these prereq grades to see if you can hack it... I've never heard of anyone putting off orgo. I know a girl who took bio while she was applying to med school, because some schools don't accept AP credits. Besides, how are you going to take the mcats?

There are some schools (can't remember which right now) that require prereqs to be done before January of the year you matriculate (so, for you, that'd be Jan 2008). Look into the schools you're thinking about applying to. However, if you haven't taken the MCAT yet, it might not be wise to try to take it without taking o chem. I haven't taken the MCAT myself, so I can't give you any ideas on this, and some people will tell you that O chem is minimal... Maybe see if you can take the classes off track (o chem 1 in the spring, o chem 2 in the fall).

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you apply before you take organic chemistry 1 and 2? Right now I am taking Organic 1, but I think I may have to withdraw from the class. I was planning on applying next year, but I won't have those classes (I will have all the other pre-reqs completed by then).

I did a search but didn't really find anything. Only if you were missing one pre-req class or 2. This is 2 classes, but I didn't find anything about applying if you haven't taken the whole year of one kind of class. Will this make a difference? I don't want to put off applying by a year due to this unless I absolutely have to.

As others have stated, there's quite a bit of organic chemistry on the MCAT, so it's learn it in class, or teach it to yourself before the MCAT. Are you thinking of withdrawing because you have other big science classes taking up time? Remember, there is a reason why it is referred to as a "weeder" course.

I think the term is "weed out", but thanks for saying it. OP, I just don't think there's much point applying before Organic. That's where you prove yourself, and your grade is what adcoms will be looking for. Sure there's plenty of other stuff to consider. But it's the big common denominator.

And everyone's right about needing it for the MCAT.

I dunno -- I still have to finish Orgo 2, and so far I'm doing ok in the process. Granted I haven't gotten in anywhere, but I've gotten 7 interviews. You just need to say when you plan on completing it.

Ideally, though, if you have the option of doing it sooner, it's better. And it'll help with the MCAT.

i just want to reiterate the idea that your organic chemistry grades probably stand out to admissions committees. they know the classes are hard and i would think they'd want to see those grades to see how well you handle a tough class.

OChem is the only required class for medical school with a prerequisite (Gen Chem), so your performance is the first time you're amongst people that aren't taking it to fulfill general ed requirements. I think it's important to take it (or at least be taking it) before applying.

About the MCAT...I plan on self-teaching what I need to know for it. Its basically what I am having to do for class right now anyway because I can't grasp the concepts in the classroom so I have to go home and re-study and go over the material again and see what the professor is talking about.

And yeah, I havent seen anyone put off both classes while applying. I have heard of a few people putting off one or one with another pre-req (organic and bio 2 for example) but thats all.

I can't take the classes off track. My college doesn't offer them that way (the community college I transferred from doesn't even offer it off track, I have checked.) They only offer organic 1 in the fall and organic 2 in the spring. They don't ever seem to have them in the summer, nor do they have organic 1 in spring/organic 2 in fall (I wish they did though).

And no I am not wanting to drop the class due to another science class. I want to drop it because I think I am going to fail it. I made an extremely low grade on the first test, and have already missed two labs. They were excused and I am going to be able to make them up but still...thats not good to miss that much, no one else has missed that much in a short period of time.

I know its a "weed out" class. But it is the most rediculous crap! I do pretty well in most other science like biology, anatomy and physiology, and microbiology. I thought I hated general chemisry and sucked at it until I got into organic, now I realize general was't so bad. The point is that I can hack it, I have taken all sorts of other classes that require thinking and memorization.

well, if you think you're going to fail it, then it would probably be a good idea to drop it regardless of whether or not it's acceptable to have not finished orgo, no? You don't want bad grades in the prereqs. Or in any other class, for that matter.

well, if you think you're going to fail it, then it would probably be a good idea to drop it regardless of whether or not it's acceptable to have not finished orgo, no? You don't want bad grades in the prereqs. Or in any other class, for that matter.

I am going to drop the class if my grades continue to go as they are going, or if I can tell that the class is just going to get worse for me.

I was just asking to see if I could apply without having finished organic. I will have both classes finished if I drop the class. But I was just wanting to know if I could still apply without having taken organic so I could still apply at the same time I originally would have. I will still take organic of course, but I will just be finishing organic 2 in May 08.