This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mooong

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have the DAT done? And LORs that are specific to dentistry?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well if you have every component and really want to do it now then apply as soon as possible. Many schools are already sending out invites. Just be prepared to answer why you switched from medicine to dentistry

I really would not apply - I'd say your chances are pretty low to even get an interview. Even if you have super high stats you really don't have any connection to dentistry other than hanging out at a dentist office a few times in Korea. Too many applicants out there with strong dental experience/stats/etc when compared to you.

There are lots of threads on here (or sometimes on the school websites) about what the average class scores/GPA's are. You should be somewhat familiar with that. So "strong stats" I would say are average to above average. But at this level EVERYONE is smart so keep that in mind that it takes a lot more than just having a 4.0

Ambivalence is not a trait professional schools deem essential. By your admission, it took you a year to decide that maybe dentistry is your calling. It is getting late in the game to abandon your lifelong quest and try to get on a different bandwagon. What’s the sudden rush? None of the dental schools have announced shutting down.

Yikes this thread is a mess! With that being said, because we don’t know your stats, we cannot fully help you. I’ll try to give you an example of minimum stats that dental schools may like for a late applicant
150+ shadowing hours
250+ volunteering
20+ AA
Strong LORs
3.6+ science gpa ( or masters/postbac if not)

Some dental schools take stats lower than these for late applicants, while others wouldn’t consider these and expect higher.
I would encourage you to take a deep breath and apply early next cycle. I understand the pressure that parents may be putting on you (trust me), but at the end of the day It’s important for your own mental health to do what’s best for you even if it means waiting out a year. I wish you the best and success in the future!

Please let me know if i should wait or not..

GPA 3.75
Master GPA 3.86

2 pubs (one is first author)
Volunteer: 760 hours
Non Clinical Volunteer: 150 hours
Shadowing: 100 hours

DAT
PAT:19 QR:20 RC:19 Bio:20 GC:20 OC:19 TS:20 AA:20

You do have good stats! But dental schools get competitive every year and even with these you may not be offered an interview this cycle. I reccomend applying early (June) for next cycle and you will surely land some interview opportunities! This way you will not waste money. Good luck :)