Applying despite GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

User7824

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not have exactly a good GPA and I have a transcript spotted with repeats and W's. I transferred to A&S now and still want to persue pre-med. What should I do to raise the GPA? Grad school, I even heard I should persue a MPH. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would need to post more details about your record for someone to give you useful advice. Have you already taken a lot of the pre-reqs for med school? How long have you been in college? If you are just a sophomore who has not taken a lot of the pre-reqs then you probably still have plenty of time to get your GPA up. If you are close to graduation you would have to pursue some kind of post-bacc. options.

Anton

I agree with ayj, you need to tell a little more about your academic background in order to meaningful advice. I myself personally am planning on applying with a not so hot GPA as well. However, right now I am in the process of getting my masters, I currently work for a prestigious research lab, and I am about to pursue a second bachelors in nursing. The nursing degree is my back up plan. You know just in case I don't get in. My goal is to provide healthcare anyway possible. Yes, I do want to be a physician. But if it doesn't happen I need to be prepared with a plan B.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok guys here's more info on me -

Major A&S Chemistry (just switched during junior yr)

GPA - ~3.0

Courses left - 1 yr of extra bio; 1/2 sem of org chem; all of my reqs for chem major (which is about 10 hrs); bunch of CPLE which can kill my avg

Extracurricular - plenty of volunteer; various jobs (non-medical related and non-science related) - yes i need some advice here too

MCAT - 29P

Ok, i really need help - my resume doesnt look much like a pre-meds.

Ay Carajo!

No use mi pintura, mi identidad, mi avatarrrrro.

:laugh:

You seem to be in a situation similar to where I was in undergrad. i have no W's on my transcripts, but quite a lot of C's, including a few pre-med requirements. I finished with a 3.2, and a 3.0 science GPA. I got a 34Q on MCAT, but I knew my chances weren't too good for med school. I am now in my second year of my MPH. i needed an MPH program that has science classes built into the curriculum, which Yale has. my GPA here is around a 3.8 here. I have had 3 interviews and one acceptance so far. I have still not gotten interviews a lot of schools, but its a relief to have 1.
It just seems that I was in nearly the same position as you, so I just thought I would let you know what I did. and on my last interview, the interviewer commented on how he thought it was good that I didn't do a post-bac to make my numbers better, but instead, got a degree that would help serve me in the future. But I think that was just his opinion, because I know that a lot of post-baccs have really high admission rates.
Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Why did you switch to chemistry? There is a bunch of stuff required for chem that may really hurt your GPA like P Chem. Some sort of bio major would have been better for raising your GPA.

brownman24,

I sent you a pm

thanks