1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Applying despite GPA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by User7824, Nov 1, 2002.

1. User7824

User7824 Junior Member

I do not have exactly a good GPA and I have a transcript spotted with repeats and W's. I transferred to A&S now and still want to persue pre-med. What should I do to raise the GPA? Grad school, I even heard I should persue a MPH. Advice?

2. ayj

ayj Member
    7+ Year Member

I think you would need to post more details about your record for someone to give you useful advice. Have you already taken a lot of the pre-reqs for med school? How long have you been in college? If you are just a sophomore who has not taken a lot of the pre-reqs then you probably still have plenty of time to get your GPA up. If you are close to graduation you would have to pursue some kind of post-bacc. options.

Anton

3. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with ayj, you need to tell a little more about your academic background in order to meaningful advice. I myself personally am planning on applying with a not so hot GPA as well. However, right now I am in the process of getting my masters, I currently work for a prestigious research lab, and I am about to pursue a second bachelors in nursing. The nursing degree is my back up plan. You know just in case I don't get in. My goal is to provide healthcare anyway possible. Yes, I do want to be a physician. But if it doesn't happen I need to be prepared with a plan B.

4. OP
    OP
    User7824

User7824 Junior Member

Ok guys here's more info on me -

Major A&S Chemistry (just switched during junior yr)

GPA - ~3.0

Courses left - 1 yr of extra bio; 1/2 sem of org chem; all of my reqs for chem major (which is about 10 hrs); bunch of CPLE which can kill my avg

Extracurricular - plenty of volunteer; various jobs (non-medical related and non-science related) - yes i need some advice here too

MCAT - 29P

Ok, i really need help - my resume doesnt look much like a pre-meds.

5. Ay Carajo!

No use mi pintura, mi identidad, mi avatarrrrro.

:laugh:

6. brownman24

brownman24 Member
    7+ Year Member

You seem to be in a situation similar to where I was in undergrad. i have no W's on my transcripts, but quite a lot of C's, including a few pre-med requirements. I finished with a 3.2, and a 3.0 science GPA. I got a 34Q on MCAT, but I knew my chances weren't too good for med school. I am now in my second year of my MPH. i needed an MPH program that has science classes built into the curriculum, which Yale has. my GPA here is around a 3.8 here. I have had 3 interviews and one acceptance so far. I have still not gotten interviews a lot of schools, but its a relief to have 1.
    It just seems that I was in nearly the same position as you, so I just thought I would let you know what I did. and on my last interview, the interviewer commented on how he thought it was good that I didn't do a post-bac to make my numbers better, but instead, got a degree that would help serve me in the future. But I think that was just his opinion, because I know that a lot of post-baccs have really high admission rates.
    Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

7. DoubleDoctor

DoubleDoctor Ceder Dog's Daddy
    7+ Year Member

Why did you switch to chemistry? There is a bunch of stuff required for chem that may really hurt your GPA like P Chem. Some sort of bio major would have been better for raising your GPA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. JScrusader

JScrusader Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

brownman24,

I sent you a pm

thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...