Applying directly to US GI fellowship as UK trainee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb987

Reaction score
Hi all!

Have completed my foundation years and core medical training in the UK and about to commence gastroenterology registrar training. Keen to relocate to the US and in the process of studying for the USMLES. From my reading so far, I see that it is possible to apply for a fellowship in the US if you've completed an equivalent of three years internal medicine residency training....I think! What's also not entirely clear is how you go about obtaining approval of your equivalent training prior to applying for fellowship programs.

Would be grateful for any help and advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, your UK training will not count in the US.

The current rule from the ACGME is as follows:
All required clinical education for entry into ACGME-accredited fellowship programs must be completed in an ACGME-accredited residency program, or in an RCPSC-accredited or CFPC- accredited residency program located in Canada.

There is a pathway for "exceptional" candidates, but it's complicated and requires approval of the entire institution. Definition of an exceptional candidate is:
** An exceptionally qualified applicant has (1) completed a non-ACGME-accredited residency program in the core specialty, and (2) demonstrated clinical excellence, in comparison to peers, throughout training. Additional evidence of exceptional qualifications is required, which may include one of the following: (a) participation in additional clinical or research training in the specialty or subspecialty; (b) demonstrated scholarship in the specialty or subspecialty; (c) demonstrated leadership during or after residency training; (d) completion of an ACGME-Internationalaccredited residency program.

In addition, GI is one of the most competitive fellowships. Unless you have US rotations and outstanding research and a bunch of luck, you're not going to get a spot in the US.

All of the above rules are from here: http://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PFAs...cine_2017-07-01.pdf?ver=2017-06-30-083345-723