DO Applying DO soon; is it too late now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOapplicant1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
*CA applicant
*non-URM
*non-traditional (several years of work in research lab)
*3.70-3.80 GPA; >95th percentile MCAT; LizzyM ~75+
*300-400 hours of hospital volunteering (very cookie cutter)
*not much non-clinical volunteering
*~100 hours of physician shadowing (some are DO)
*several co-authored publications and a first-author publication
*I have an MD LOR, but not a DO one yet.

I have 3-4 Ws for courses in my undergrad and also dropped an entire quarter because I was changing majors. These occurred in the last two years of my undergrad so to me, it looks like a “downward trend.”

I am very interested in attending a particular DO school because it’s very close to home. I also know DO graduates have more limited options compared to MD, but I’m interested in pediatrics, pediatrics specialty, or IM. I really do not wish to apply for a next cycle and just want to make sure I have somewhere to go this cycle. I have applied for MD schools as well, but no acceptances yet. I would attend a particular DO school over other MD schools.

Will my cookie-cutter hospital volunteering and lack of non-clinical volunteering keep me from getting in? Is it too late at this point in the cycle for DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

It's getting late, but not too late. Your Ecs are fine. Send an app to my school!

*CA applicant
*non-URM
*non-traditional (several years of work in research lab)
*3.70-3.80 GPA; >95th percentile MCAT; LizzyM ~75+
*300-400 hours of hospital volunteering (very cookie cutter)
*not much non-clinical volunteering
*~100 hours of physician shadowing (some are DO)
*several co-authored publications and a first-author publication
*I have an MD LOR, but not a DO one yet.

I have 3-4 Ws for courses in my undergrad and also dropped an entire quarter because I was changing majors. These occurred in the last two years of my undergrad so to me, it looks like a “downward trend.”

I am very interested in attending a particular DO school because it’s very close to home. I also know DO graduates have more limited options compared to MD, but I’m interested in pediatrics, pediatrics specialty, or IM. I really do not wish to apply for a next cycle and just want to make sure I have somewhere to go this cycle. I have applied for MD schools as well, but no acceptances yet. I would attend a particular DO school over other MD schools.

Will my cookie-cutter hospital volunteering and lack of non-clinical volunteering keep me from getting in? Is it too late at this point in the cycle for DO schools?

Reactions: 1 users