Applying early, advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What really is the advantage in applying early? Is it very significant?

Members don't see this ad.

The way it was explained to me was schools have to play the numbers game. How more many will they accept than they plan to have matriculate. Anytime they can definetly fill spots with no worries (ED) they like to do so. So if you are competitive for ED and you really want to be somewhere, go for it.

Big advantage in applying early. For one, it shows you are highly motivated and organized, and two, there are less applicants who send in their apps in the first month or so, which potentially means less competion than you would have if you applied later in the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shades McCool said:
The way it was explained to me was schools have to play the numbers game. How more many will they accept than they plan to have matriculate. Anytime they can definetly fill spots with no worries (ED) they like to do so. So if you are competitive for ED and you really want to be somewhere, go for it.

Oh not early decision, I mean early in the cycle, submitting before July.

Pinkertinkle said:
What really is the advantage in applying early? Is it very significant?
If you're applying to schools with rolling admissions, the advantage is significant.

The advantage is huge. Late in the application cycle, if you're average...you're gonna disappear in the pool. Even if you're outstanding, chances are, you might not get an outright acceptance. Basically, it's first come first serve...so get it in early. Before July isn't too early either. Past mid july, it's starting to get late.

BubbleBobble said:
If you're applying to schools with rolling admissions, the advantage is significant.
Exactly. I know that MCW will accept people that they think are worthy from the get-go. They don't wait for all the applications and then pick the best. So, if you have a good application, get it going right away, and you might find out very early in your year that you've been accepted, which would make your senior year much more relaxing.

If you send everything before july, but retake the mcat...will schools evaluate your first score or just the second. Particularly, if your first score is good enough for that school will they look at secondaries or wait.

come on now, pinkertinkle. someone with 500+ posts should know the answer to this question. ;)