Applying early decision with expired MCAT? But only by 8 days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelloSDN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so I just applied this last cycle with a 2012 mcat and I obviously really really don't want to take the new mcat. However, there are only a few schools that would accept my mcat for the 2015-2016 cycle, so I was thinking about applying early decision to one where Id have the best chance. I figured the place where I'd have the best odds is somewhere I'm already waitlisted. Jefferson is the only school that I interviewed at which has an "oldest mcat" date even close to when I took my MCAT. Their date is 9/15/12, and I took my mcat on 9/7/12. If I talked to the dean, do you think they might be flexible? Or is it not even worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, so I just applied this last cycle with a 2012 mcat and I obviously really really don't want to take the new mcat. However, there are only a few schools that would accept my mcat for the 2015-2016 cycle, so I was thinking about applying early decision to one where Id have the best chance. I figured the place where I'd have the best odds is somewhere I'm already waitlisted. Jefferson is the only school that I interviewed at which has an "oldest mcat" date even close to when I took my MCAT. Their date is 9/15/12, and I took my mcat on 9/7/12. If I talked to the dean, do you think they might be flexible? Or is it not even worth a shot.
The worst they can say if you call and ask is, "No."

Members don't see this ad :)
Rules are rules. You aren't special enough to warrant an exemption. Suck it up and take the mcat again.

If they say they'll take it, but then you get rejected early decision, will it be too late to retake the MCAT and apply elsewhere that same cycle? Are you willing to wait another year and wind up having to take the new MCAT anyway?

If they say they'll take it, but then you get rejected early decision, will it be too late to retake the MCAT and apply elsewhere that same cycle? Are you willing to wait another year and wind up having to take the new MCAT anyway?
I feel like if I have to take the new mcat I'll be too late anyways for this cycle because of all the studying I'll have to do. I'll just call and ask. I feel like I've heard some success stories with this, but maybe thats just wishful thinking.

I didnt mean to seem entirely absolute but applying and relying on an Old MCAT at a single school is long shot bet. The discussion this year has been what schools will only accept the new MCAT to the point that AAMC had to publish list for advisers. You will be competing in an applicant pool that a majority have the new MCAT . While Jefferson listed there policy as the 3 years in the below, you may simply be a competitive disadvantage. That is best expressed in old theater adage of a director asking an auditioning actor who is talking about past parts he has had: "What have you done lately?"

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/398586/data/mcatexampolicy.pdf

Good point.

So you're a reapp? Did you apply to Jefferson last cycle? What have you done to significantly improve your app for this upcoming cycle? What if you aren't accepted early decision? You'll be pushed back another year.