Applying Early Decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Please forgive me, I'm somewhat new to some of the processes and terms associated with applying to med school. I've heard of applying ED, but what SPECIFICALLY does it entail?

Any and all details about it would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Since no one is handling this...if you apply Early Decision you select one school...generally an in-state public (but not necesarilly)...essentially you have earlier deadlines for AMCAS submission and for your secondary submission to this school (at this point you are only allowed to apply to the school you designated EDP). The school will review your file quickly invite you for an interview and render a decision. If accepted YOU ARE REQUIRED to attend this school, as the acceptance is binding. You can't apply anywhere else at this point so make sure if you apply EP you KNOW thats your number 1 and really the only school you will be happy at. If this school denies you you are free to begin applying to other schools. I know for undergrad a lot of people look at the binding early decision programs as a way to get into a better school than maybe their SAT/GPA would make feasible. This isn't the case for med schools...you have to be very qualified or they seem to just through you into the regular pool

Going ED is legally binding - you can't apply (or attend) anywhere else until the school you've chosen has given you a rejection. I chose not to go ED because I didn't want to sacrifice time during the application season that I could be using to apply to many other schools.

Most folks I've talked to only go ED if they only want to go to one school, or not practice medicine, (which is a narrow view, especially with the level of education provided by any US med school,) or they feel that they are competitive enough to rate an early acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
snobored18 said:
Since no one is handling this...if you apply Early Decision you select one school...generally an in-state public (but not necesarilly)...essentially you have earlier deadlines for AMCAS submission and for your secondary submission to this school (at this point you are only allowed to apply to the school you designated EDP). The school will review your file quickly invite you for an interview and render a decision. If accepted YOU ARE REQUIRED to attend this school, as the acceptance is binding. You can't apply anywhere else at this point so make sure if you apply EP you KNOW thats your number 1 and really the only school you will be happy at. If this school denies you you are free to begin applying to other schools. I know for undergrad a lot of people look at the binding early decision programs as a way to get into a better school than maybe their SAT/GPA would make feasible. This isn't the case for med schools...you have to be very qualified or they seem to just through you into the regular pool

Well summarized.

I went EDP and was thrilled with the results. The entire process flew along quickly, and I got my answer within 24 hours of my interview. However, I have spoken to a couple of people from other schools who said that they weren't notified in a timely way, and it interfered with the submission of their other applications. You need to ask to speak to some of the med students from the school you are applying to, and find out if the school was responsible or not with their ED people.

On the bright side, just as you agree to attend if accepted, they agree to notify you by a certain date. If they don't, you can call them to find out the status of your application. Also, you could go ahead and submit applications to other schools (once the EDP notification deadline is past).

This deadline is often in early October. A little late, but not so late in the game that you won't get an interview (unless your application was no good anyway).

One thing that wasn't mentioned earlier is that some schools also have additional criteria that must be met. For some it is merely in-state residence. My school also had minimum 30 MCAT and 3.6 gpa to apply EDP, in addition to the residency requirement.

odrade1 said:
I went EDP and was thrilled with the results. The entire process flew along quickly, and I got my answer within 24 hours of my interview. However, I have spoken to a couple of people from other schools who said that they weren't notified in a timely way, and it interfered with the submission of their other applications. You need to ask to speak to some of the med students from the school you are applying to, and find out if the school was responsible or not with their ED people.

On the bright side, just as you agree to attend if accepted, they agree to notify you by a certain date. If they don't, you can call them to find out the status of your application. Also, you could go ahead and submit applications to other schools (once the EDP notification deadline is past).

This deadline is often in early October. A little late, but not so late in the game that you won't get an interview (unless your application was no good anyway).

One thing that wasn't mentioned earlier is that some schools also have additional criteria that must be met. For some it is merely in-state residence. My school also had minimum 30 MCAT and 3.6 gpa to apply EDP, in addition to the residency requirement.

Hmmmm . . . So I guess applying ED is out of the question for someone taking the MCAT for the first time in August.

I think it depends on the school. Sometimes, it is advantageous to apply ED (and don't get that confused with the ED (erectile dysfunction) that affects millions of American men)... while other times it is not a great choice. Research the specific school.

rogerwilco said:
Hmmmm . . . So I guess applying ED is out of the question for someone taking the MCAT for the first time in August.
My application deadline--as an EDP applicant--was August 1. The deadline for them to notify me was October 1. If your scores won't be available until after you apply, then you will probably have a problem applying EDP, if the school has a minimum MCAT score for EDP applicants. Also, if you won't have scores until after the EDP interviews (which are usually among the earliest interviews offered), you will run into problems.

However, it will depend on the policy of the school you are applying to.