Applying early or late whats the differance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentista08

looking for a practice!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, so it seems that everyone always told me APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE! and that people who apply early, get early interviews. but now it seems that I gave up extra time that I could have had to study for the DAT to apply in July, and no hint of an interview, just 2 rejections. Now I'm starting to think that it might have been better to take my DAT in September/October and get higher scores, like the rest of people who did that and have a much better chance! I have average scores and know that even if I do get an interview invite phone call/email it will probably be after New Years. I was just wondering, if I have an advantage for applying "early" over the other students who have similar or higher DAT scores who took the test late?? Because if D-schools are just keeping my app around to see if they get more applicants with higher scores- they will- people that took the whole summer+some fall to study, vs. me who only had 2 months.
So is there really a point to apply early unless you have 20+ scores??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, so it seems that everyone always told me APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE! and that people who apply early, get early interviews. but now it seems that I gave up extra time that I could have had to study for the DAT to apply in July, and no hint of an interview, just 2 rejections. Now I'm starting to think that it might have been better to take my DAT in September/October and get higher scores, like the rest of people who did that and have a much better chance! I have average scores and know that even if I do get an interview invite phone call/email it will probably be after New Years. I was just wondering, if I have an advantage for applying "early" over the other students who have similar or higher DAT scores who took the test late?? Because if D-schools are just keeping my app around to see if they get more applicants with higher scores- they will- people that took the whole summer+some fall to study, vs. me who only had 2 months.
So is there really a point to apply early unless you have 20+ scores??

Applying in July is not really early. You can also get you app in before taking you DAT.

If you took the test in July, why didn't you just apply in May (assuming everything else was done). You would have still had the time to study and your app would have been submitted (GPA verified, LORs sent out). Applying early is better because you are competing against "less" people (as in, you're competing against what the adcom has seen so far) and the later in the cycle, the less interview spots are available. Hopefully you get an interview soon, just be patient. Pre Dec 1 interviews are not the be all and end all for admission. Also, if you really don't like your scores that much, then you can always retake it if that's what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, people say earlier the better with the idea of all other things being equal. A crappy app submitted early is still crap. We say to do it early cuz many schools fill up their class really frign early(i.e. UoP)

As the above poster said, you can submit your app w/out taking the DAT. Just get the ADSAS ball rolling as soon as possible.

Also, two months is PLENTY of time to study for the DAT, especially if you have taken bio, chem and o-chem.

Thanks a lot for all the responses!!
unfortunatelly 2 months was not enough for me ;( my rc score is keeping me down... I know that Science could have been better also, but I really did my best, I did not slack off.
I submitted my app July3rd with all the letters, transcripts, ect turned in and ready to go. I spent a really long time on my PS and app, got it to be perfect; DAT taken July 31st. So do you guys suggest I start planning for re-applying next year? (Taking more classes next semester, shadow more etc..)Do you know people who heard from Dschools after Dec for interviews and got in with similar stats?
Thanks again for the feedback.

Thanks a lot for all the responses!!
unfortunatelly 2 months was not enough for me ;( my rc score is keeping me down... I know that Science could have been better also, but I really did my best, I did not slack off.
I submitted my app July3rd with all the letters, transcripts, ect turned in and ready to go. I spent a really long time on my PS and app, got it to be perfect; DAT taken July 31st. So do you guys suggest I start planning for re-applying next year? (Taking more classes next semester, shadow more etc..)Do you know people who heard from Dschools after Dec for interviews and got in with similar stats?
Thanks again for the feedback.

Don't worry, you're still in the game. In addition, you have a pretty decent RC score and DAT too, it's not below average which is still good, IMO thou.
One thing I can say is this is a waiting game. Good luck.:luck:

Don't worry, you're still in the game. In addition, you have a pretty decent RC score and DAT too, it's not below average which is still good, IMO thou.
One thing I can say is this is a waiting game. Good luck.:luck:
i meant QR score-- math 16 but yeah Rc is too bc i got FRAPPed!!!
Thanks for the encouragement, i just wish the school that are going to reject me later, did it now, that way I would know what to do with my time already.

Thanks for the encouragement, i just wish the school that are going to reject me later, did it now, that way I would know what to do with my time already.

I've also heard that QR is the least important section to a reasonable degree thou, but I think you're OK.
Yeah, I know, some schools put rejections off but there are also cases when some people get an acceptance 2 weeks/days before the start of classes.
In additin, we don't want to talk about rejections, it's still early so cheer up and hope for the best :laugh::luck:

It seems that schools don't always know right away who they want to keep / reject all the time. Tossing your app first thing when they review it might make them lose a great candidate. They don't keep us waiting to kill us... its so they don't get rid of us for no reason! And with people accepting and rejecting offers, you may have a shot.

a 3.3 and 18 AA in October will not even get a second look.

a 3.3 and 18AA in MAY, may receive an interview.

You can't blame an early app for a low DAT score. You should be able to score well on the DAT and have you application in by July 1st. Or you can submit app on May 15th and then take the DAT in July. Either way, its lame to say you could of had more time for the DAT.

I am probably starting to sound like a broken record to a lot of people by now but, how did you choose your schools? You have many really good schools on your list that I did not get invites from...your school selection to me seems a little random.

I think good stats are the most important factor. If you need time to get ready then you take it. To my knowledge however taking time off doesn't really help if you are not motivated (if anything it will probably stress you out even more since the margin for error is smaller).

Also, just get all that stuff in ASAP, if not for anything but a peace of mind. It really isn't that much work.

the only difference is if you want or dont want to get in.

apply late - pry wont get in
apply early - good shot

Dentista's choice of schools are all private institutions (w/ the expection of UNLV and OHSU), so i dont think it's all that random.

As for applying early... I know people who apply the first or second day the application comes out. The idea being that AADSAS will process your app and verify your transcripts faster and thus have it sent out to schools quicker. And especially with a weaker application, it's better for you if schools see your application early instead of later in the cycle when it's grouped around higher qualified applicants. Also, with a late app you're missing out on the interview slots that were given to the early applicants.

Not to worry though... you have good numbers with a lot of ECs. You should hear something soon.

Just apply as early as possible. It's very stressful watching others getting interviews from your top choices.

Dentista's choice of schools are all private institutions (w/ the expection of UNLV and OHSU), so i dont think it's all that random.

This is true, when I look at the list though, and of course I am biased because many state schools have talked to me. But

ASDOH-interview
BU-Creighton - No response
NYU- Interview
OHSU-Tufts- No response
UCSF- Rejected
USC-UoP- No response
UNLV-Western- Interview invite only last week

Out of the list not to many seem all that friendly and I think I look fairly good, 3.81 AA=20 TS=21

If you really want to test this theory, apply late next year, August or later. Then, if/when you reapply, you'll realize the difference in the number of interviews you get, even if your application has stayed exactly the same as the year before.

Try it. I dare you. :p

This is true, when I look at the list though, and of course I am biased because many state schools have talked to me. But

ASDOH-interview
BU-Creighton - No response
NYU- Interview
OHSU-Tufts- No response
UCSF- Rejected
USC-UoP- No response
UNLV-Western- Interview invite only last week

Out of the list not to many seem all that friendly and I think I look fairly good, 3.81 AA=20 TS=21

I chose my schools based on in state/out of state ratio. State schools prefer their state residents, private schools dont seem to care. AZ, UNLV & OHSU because they are closer to my home. I know I should have done a bit more research, I only found out about this website after I applied..

Thank you for all the responses! If I will need to reapply next year- you bet it will be May 15th!
But this year I think I'm still not late- all the transcripts & LORs, the app & everything submitted July 3rd...? I know it could have been June 2nd, but I was perfecting my PS..
Thanks for all the responses!!