Applying early overcome a low MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koala37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering....does applying early overcome a low MCAT score? I have taken the mcat twice, got a 24 the second time in January (6 VR, 8 PS, 10 BS). GPA is a 3.7, science is the same as well. I will applying the first week of June and my app will b complete since my scores are already on file? Any thoughts? Also, whats a good website to read on the current healthcare news thats going on cuz I know they usually tend to ask those sort of ?s in interviews right? Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Just wondering....does applying early overcome a low MCAT score? I have taken the mcat twice, got a 24 the second time in January (6 VR, 8 PS, 10 BS). GPA is a 3.7, science is the same as well. I will applying the first week of June and my app will b complete since my scores are already on file? Any thoughts? Also, whats a good website to read on the current healthcare news thats going on cuz I know they usually tend to ask those sort of ?s in interviews right? Thanks!:)

Obviously you know a higher MCAT would be better but if you apply early and broadly you should be able to get in if you have no other red flags and can be halfway personable in your interview. Your GPA will make up what you lack in MCAT

yeah i know. i am scheduled to take it a third time, but i dont wanna risk sitting for the exam a 3rd time if i stay the same or do even worse

Members don't see this ad :)
it's a toss up. 24 is the cutoff for a lot of schools. if you do worse though, you might be eternally screwed.

yeah which is why i am gonna cancel my testdate if my score isnt going up....n I know 24 is the cutoff thats why i am scared

that 6 in VR is the real issue though. if it was a 6 in PS i wouldn't be as concerned. i think you have to retake to improve the VR score.

What were your first scores? There are a small number of schools that take the best score in each section.

what the hell? some people tell me they look at sciences more i did decent in my sciences, effin verbal always gets me. English is not my first language. Anyways,

my first score: 22Q (9 BS, 9 PS, 4 VR)
my second score: 24O (8 BS, 10 PS, 6 VR).....there was a typo above...combined its a 25

since english is not your first language you might be given some slack, but anything less than a 7 in VR is usually considered a red flag.

good luck with your decision.

since english is not your first language you might be given some slack, but anything less than a 7 in VR is usually considered a red flag.

good luck with your decision.

Some schools will cut you off for your 6 in VR. Many won't though. I agree that knowing a second language will probably help make up for a little of the VR slack. Again, ideally you should want to bump up your score but if that isn't possible apply as early as possible and you should be able to make it in somewhere, just know you'll be rolling the dice a little. Again, assuming no other red flags

I just want to go to one D.O. school...thats all i ask. I am going to sign up for sept and apply everywhere I can with these scores, but there is no point in taking that exam a third time if my verbal is staying the same

I also had a low VR score (7) when I applied this cycle. I think it really helps to apply early. I was given an interview at all the DO schools where I completed my secondaries. Try to send in your app and supporting documents ASAP for the upcoming cycle. Good luck.

yeha but you had a 7....i have a 6 crap :'(

Members don't see this ad :)
nardini did you get accepted anywhere?

yeha but you had a 7....i have a 6 crap :'(

I was in the same position as you, 24-25 range with 6 in VR, , 3.7 gpa, English as second language. Well I raised it to a 9 third retake with Examcraker, applied late(October) and I got in a few.
I was so happy with my 9, I could possibly have gotten in a MD school with my stat but did not have the money to apply broadly.
I think for DO, try to aim for 10 10 7 on your retake and I'm pretty sure you'll get in even if applied a later in the cycle.
Ps: long post on mobile, pls ignore typos

24 isn't going to kill you. I made a 23 my first time taking the MCAT and a 24 the second time. With such a small change, I didn't bother taking it a third time.

I've been invited to interview at 3 schools now and have been accepted to all of them. (WCUCOM, KCUMB (where I'll be matriculating) and LMU-DCOM.)

The interview is really easy if you approach it right. Realize that you've already met the academic requirements if you've been offered an interview to begin with. All they are looking for is that you are not a social ******. Be confident, make it a goal to make the interviewers laugh about SOMETHING, and have a good time. You are auditioning for the school as much as the school is auditioning for you.

You have the scores you need already. Quit worrying about them and focus on the interviews you'll be getting. Confidence is key!

Good luck :)

24 isn't going to kill you. I made a 23 my first time taking the MCAT and a 24 the second time. With such a small change, I didn't bother taking it a third time.

I've been invited to interview at 3 schools now and have been accepted to all of them. (WCUCOM, KCUMB (where I'll be matriculating) and LMU-DCOM.)

The interview is really easy if you approach it right. Realize that you've already met the academic requirements if you've been offered an interview to begin with. All they are looking for is that you are not a social ******. Be confident, make it a goal to make the interviewers laugh about SOMETHING, and have a good time. You are auditioning for the school as much as the school is auditioning for you.

You have the scores you need already. Quit worrying about them and focus on the interviews you'll be getting. Confidence is key!

Good luck :)

if you dont mind me asking what was ur overall and science GPA>

21R here, Non-URM, 3.9 GPA and was accepted to:

1.) PCSOM
2.)VCOM-Carolina
3.) OUCOM

Its possible, good luck.

VCOM has a Carolina campus now? Is this the thing up in Greenville/Spartanburg all the hubub was about?

Heed my caution, however. A few classmates with MCATs around yours never graduated. Such is the folly of accepting those with low scores.

To give you a little confidence back, I had a similar VR score as you and my MCAT total was 28. I applied very early and very boardly to both MD and DO, and so far I was accepted to 5 DO and 2 MD schools in the US, will be matriculating at MD.

Although 24 might be too low for MD consideration, but I think it is totally acceptable at DO school, just make sure you have everything else in your application ready to go and prepare well for your interview!

I was going to retake my MCAT after that 28, but I ended up voiding my test, considering the risk of scoring lower.

The choice is yours, but it can be done! Good Luck!

Yes, This will be VCOM's first year in Spartanburg. The campus is beautiful and I expect them to do relatively well. Might have been one of my favorite interviews as well.

I do not put much stock on standardized exams ( which is just great for someone heading down a path filled with them). According to my ACT score in high school I also should not have graduated college in 3 1/2 yrs and pulled a 3.9. I was also told I would never get into medical school and 3 acceptances later I still laugh about that one. I just try to stay humble and work my ass off, hopefully (and I highly doubt) I end up like your friends.

I agree. I don't believe they are predictors of anything. My DAT was average at best and I finished 14 of 75 in my dental school class. I also scored in the 90+% iles on both board exams. I took the MCAT after being out of premed courses since 1994. I doubt my 25 M will predict much of anything (7 P, 9 V, 9 B).

Yes, This will be VCOM's first year in Spartanburg. The campus is beautiful and I expect them to do relatively well. Might have been one of my favorite interviews as well.

I do not put much stock on standardized exams ( which is just great for someone heading down a path filled with them). According to my ACT score in high school I also should not have graduated college in 3 1/2 yrs and pulled a 3.9. I was also told I would never get into medical school and 3 acceptances later I still laugh about that one. I just try to stay humble and work my ass off, hopefully (and I highly doubt) I end up like your friends.

I don't put much stock in the composite MCAT score. I'm not saying there is a 100% correlation with low MCAT and poor performance on board exams, but it's pretty damn high, especially with a low VR.

My PS was crap and my BS was average, but my VR was a 12 or 13. I had always done super well on VR-type stuff, which allowed me the (thankful) ability to read over material once and know/understand it. I didn't have to do much in medical school to pass.

I think my composite was a 27 or 28, but almost half my score was VR. I ended up doing below average on COMLEX I and II (studied about 1-2 weeks for each), but did 90+ percentile on COMLEX III (studied 2 months), not that it matters at that point. Regardless, I still managed to pass them all on the first try.

The COMLEX has become much tougher since I took Level I and a ton of people are getting burned now; it started with the adjustments to Level II. I took Level I before it was changed.

At any rate, good luck to you. I hope VCOM-Carolina does well. Once I'm done with the military I plan to settle down in either GA or Spartanburg and teach at one of the two schools.

I agree. I don't believe they are predictors of anything. My DAT was average at best and I finished 14 of 75 in my dental school class. I also scored in the 90+% iles on both board exams. I took the MCAT after being out of premed courses since 1994. I doubt my 25 M will predict much of anything (7 P, 9 V, 9 B).

BS and PS do not matter, they merely reflect your base of knowledge in the basic sciences, of which you don't need much of to understand medical school material.

VR matters, as it is a reflection of your ability to read, understand, and apply information -- the crux of medical education. The more impaired someone is in this regard the more difficult it will be to learn the material in the severely-limited amount of time available.

BS and PS do not matter, they merely reflect your base of knowledge in the basic sciences, of which you don't need much of to understand medical school material.

VR matters, as it is a reflection of your ability to read, understand, and apply information -- the crux of medical education. The more impaired someone is in this regard the more difficult it will be to learn the material in the severely-limited amount of time available.
yeah, i was told this at a couple of my interviews.