1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Applying early with a 3.1 or two week later with 3.2 make any diff?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by AdaAda87, May 6, 2008.

1. AdaAda87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I know this has been answered in the past with the response of applying early, but I was just wondering, if I apply a month after the application opens with a 3.2 vs. applying early with a 3.1 will make any difference? I have yet to take my DAT's but I prey to god I do well on them. Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

2. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Applying two weeks later than the first day is still considered early. You will still be in the first wave of interviewees if all your other stuff is in. And a 3.2>3.1, so I would wait.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    0.1 GPA > 2 weeks.

You should wait.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ummjoey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    is it

1) 3.29 vs 3.10

or

2) 3.20 vs 3.19?

number 1 has a huge difference and i would wait. number 2 not so much.......

edit: i agree with jigabodo.

2nd edit: i changed my numbers. they were off.....

5. AdaAda87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well it would be a 3.09 if i apply when the cycle opens, and I wont find out my grades till june 15th-ish, and it would jump up to a 3.19 so like 0.1 if I do extremely well. Would applying 2 weeks later after the considered first wave of applicants affect me? Thanks for the responses!

6. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would agree to wait. Like was said earlier, a 0.1 difference is not that big of a deal in the average/above average GPA range, but can be huge when hovering slightly over 3.0.

If you didn’t wait, the earliest AADSAS would recalculate your GPA to reflect the new grades would be in Nov./Dec.

7. rawknee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ok so a 0.1 difference is worth waiting for... is a 0.04 jump in my gpa from a 3.34 to a 3.38 worth waiting for? My grades will also come out june 15ish. But that also means that I can not send my transcripts till june 15... isnt that bad because it takes a long time for AADSAS to verify gpa?

8. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I was in a similar situation last year, and I opted not to wait.

You also need to make sure that the transcript will indeed have those classes listed by June 15th, since sometimes it can take schools 2-3 weeks to have those grades put on your transcript.

9. Sephisabin

Sephisabin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    AdaAda-- you should definitely wait... 3.2 will be worth a lot more than 2 weeks

Rawknee-- That's not really all that significant a change compared to the 1 month (or possibly more...) you would have to wait. I'd submit without those grades.

10. AdaAda87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the advice guys!!!! What would i do without you!!!! Thanks again!!!