1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Applying for 09, take MCAT now?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by brianmartin, Apr 12, 2007.

1. brianmartin

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am seeking some advice on my personal situation:

I am not applying to med school this summer (planning for 09). However, several people have told me that I should go ahead and take the MCAT in August anyway.

I will be finished physics and ochem in 8 weeks. But, I recently took a free kaplan practice test on my campus and got a 6PS 12VR 10BS.

I thought about taking a prep class during the summer, but I'll be working and also taking an organic lab when the class is going on. I am concerned about my PS score and for this reason I am contemplating just waiting and doing the MCAT next april or something (still early enough for AMCAS by far).

Can I get prepared for the PS section in time for August while maintaining a fairly busy schedule outside of studying?

Would there be any advantage to taking it this summer as opposed to just waiting until when the first dates open up next year?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aspirationMD

aspirationMD Rookie of the Year
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It seems like there would be more of a disadvantage to do it now, rather the waiting until you are more prepared.

4. unsung

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am also applying for '09 and plan on taking the MCAT in April of '08.

I don't see any advantages to taking it earlier than need be, personally. Heck, it's more time you could be using to take practice tests/review weak areas, etc.

In fact you could take it as late as May '08, since the turnover time is supposed to be faster now.

5. apricotattack

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wow, great score on that diagnostic! Considering that, and my own experience, I'd advise you to go for the August MCAT. I've wished many, MANY times in prepping for mine this May that I'd have taken it last summer. As long as you're not working crazy hours for your job, you'll have ample time from where you're starting. And PS is the easiest section to improve - just re-memorizing formulas, really. You can bring up BS with some review, too (that's just reading, maybe you can do it at work?) and your VR is golden. About the prep course... your starting score is so high that you probably won't gain a lot from it, and if it'll keep you from some studying, I'd say forget that. Just get some Kaplan books at a bookstore and your old bio book and go nuts. I'm so strong about this (hopefully not TOO strong :) ) because I very much wish I would've done it that way. Maybe you will too, but in the end it's up to you! Another bonus: you will have time to make your personal statement and application 100% completely perfect before June when you can submit. Good luck!

6. brianmartin

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks apricot, I will definitely consider it...actually I need to make a decision pretty soon here, when is the latest you can register for the late august dates?

As for my diagnostic, I guess it is OK but what about my 6PS? I felt extremely weak on the physical sciences, especially gen chem, and that was reflected in my score, so I'm not sure what to do. I guess the obvious thing would be to study, but I'm not really sure how to bring up my PS score. I actually did better on some physics concepts that I haven't even learned yet, than on some gen chem stuff already forgotten from 2 years ago. Every question was extremely difficult.

Are there any test-prep books that are especially good for physical sciences? Especially ones that have MCAT-type questions?

7. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    it seems to me that it would be less stressful to prepare/take the test in summer than to try to balance MCAT prep/school work in the spring. Many people highly recommend taking it in the summer after sophomore year (as long as you've finished your prereqs)