1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Applying for 2 different Residencies at same school

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by bigfrank, Nov 14, 2002.

1. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone ever do this (crazy) thing?

I am actually considering applying to 2 different specialties because I really want to stay at my current location and like the 2 specialties very much (PM&R, anes); rather, the same subspecialty of both -- pain mgmt

Has anyone else ever done this, and if so, has it ever come back to bite them in the rump?

I don't want to screw this up, don't want to talk to PDs, don't want to mention it to the dean, just because I don't even know if it's P.C. or not.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

Frank

:p

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. valdas

valdas Junior Member

i did it too :) and I recieved interview from both programs...well I dont think this could be threatening. I talked to one PD last year - she told me that they dont get in touched with other PD's. I personaly think it's not a good idea to like more than one program (as is to love more than one woman or man :), or is it not??)
    btw, I am FMG - i might dont know many things (i mean in the field of application process...u know:)

4. notstudying

notstudying Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Since you are applying to two programs with a similar end in mind it seems reasonable to me-you might even be able to use it to your advantage and get perspectives on how each specialty deals with pain management, and how they differ. I think it really turns programs off more if the programs are really dissimilar (say-neurosurgery and pediatrics).

5. ktat72

ktat72 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

how similar would orthopedic surgery with internal medicine as a back up be - knowing how tough radiology (which I think is similar to orthopedic surgery) is?

6. ny skindoc

ny skindoc Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

I dont see a problem with the application process as Internal Medicine programs for the most part are fairly easy to match into.I think most ortho people would be miserable in Internal Medicine it is so different.I would think that a better back up would be general surgery, or a procedure laden field such as anesthesiology.these are not too difficult a match.