Applying for 2010 and starting research now. not on my apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATBear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I applied this cycle with no science research experience (just humanities), but I'm starting research next week and will be working on it through next semester and the summer. I am wondering if it is appropriate to notify schools I'm applying to about this and what the normal means of doing this would be. I'm torn because I think it might be helpful for them to know that I am interested in basic science research, but I also feel like it might be jumping the gun to talk about research that will barely be started when acceptance decisions are being made and certainly won't have any publications by that time.

There are 3 school's I've interviewed at and haven't heard from, 2 schools I was put on hold at, and 15 schools I have heard nothing from. I mentioned the research in my interviews but who knows if the interviewer passed that info on to the committee. Anyway, I'd like to hear opinions from people who have sent updates to schools or heard from them what they think is appropriate to update on.

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. My other question is what the appropriate method is. Do I just send an email to the admissions office?

I'd update -- whether it's significant or not is something for the admissions office to decide. In your case, it's something that (IMO) certainly won't hurt and might help a little bit at the schools you've interviewed at.

You can ask each admissions office for the right update protocol if you want to be sure (some schools do not accept updates; a minority do everything by paper; and most accept e-mail updates). E-mail the admissions office and, if it's a school you've interviewed at, then also copy the dean of admissions on there. Good luck. :thumbup: