Applying for 2nd per diem job / Conflict of interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just recently got licensed as a pharmacist and am working full time as a staff pharmacist at Walgreens. I am trying to apply for per diem or part time jobs at a hospital or independent but I don't know if I am doing this correctly.. so I have a few questions.

1) Should I include that I am currently employed at Walgreens when I am applying to other jobs or sending in my resume? I definitely want to be honest about where I am currently working, but I want to know if this will affect my chances of getting an interview for a per diem job

2) Would it be conflict of interest to work for an independent pharmacy? I know many people who work retail + hospital, but what about retail + independent? What if it is an independent that is like 50-100 miles away?

3) If by any chance I do get a prn or part time job, should I tell my PIC? People tell me I shouldn't because they might fire me or frown upon the idea of me working at two places. But the staff at my pharmacy are really nice and I don't want to lie to them.

4) This is kind of similar to question 1, but there's a pharmacist that I knew who works at an independent. A while ago, she told me that they may have an opening in the future if their demands require another pharmacist. She told me she will contact me if they need another pharmacist. If I contact her to ask about any possible openings, should I mention that I work full time at Rite Aid?

Members don't see this ad.

1. yes - let them know you want a prn job, they need to know you have another job
2. this is a gray area, hospital = no, independent in the same city = yes, that far away? depends on how big of an ass your DM is - likely there are chain stores in that area
3. I would - will help avoid uncomfortable situation when/if they find out - you would hate to loose a full time job over a prn gig
4. ya - ask them

I used to moonlight for retail working in hospital. For the few years I was in retail, I moonlighted for a staffing company at other retail places in the same town. Heck I was "on call" at my first job (getting paid) while working at a second job But that was in an area with a HUGE shortages (remember those 30k sign on bonuses?) - basically then you could take a dump on your DM's desk and get a raise - times are different now.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I just recently got licensed as a pharmacist and am working full time as a staff pharmacist at Walgreens. I am trying to apply for per diem or part time jobs at a hospital or independent but I don't know if I am doing this correctly.. so I have a few questions.

1) Should I include that I am currently employed at Walgreens when I am applying to other jobs or sending in my resume? I definitely want to be honest about where I am currently working, but I want to know if this will affect my chances of getting an interview for a per diem job

2) Would it be conflict of interest to work for an independent pharmacy? I know many people who work retail + hospital, but what about retail + independent? What if it is an independent that is like 50-100 miles away?

3) If by any chance I do get a prn or part time job, should I tell my PIC? People tell me I shouldn't because they might fire me or frown upon the idea of me working at two places. But the staff at my pharmacy are really nice and I don't want to lie to them.

4) This is kind of similar to question 1, but there's a pharmacist that I knew who works at an independent. A while ago, she told me that they may have an opening in the future if their demands require another pharmacist. She told me she will contact me if they need another pharmacist. If I contact her to ask about any possible openings, should I mention that I work full time at Rite Aid?

1. Yes, but I'd also personally check into whether the Board requires you notify them of your current employment. There's a few states out there that require notice that you work for a pharmacy within a state, but each state is different (for example, AZ requires that you notify them prospectively if you are a preceptor for an AZ intern in a pharmacy NOT subject to AZ jurisdiction for the hours to count - so the government is one of them). If you do, leaving them off your resume is going to be even more problematic.

2. Depends on the company, but usually yes. Walgreens used to have (and probably still does) have a very expansive definition of "conflict of interest." However, there is not and cannot be a work-exclusivity clause that is universal.

3. If you are not obligated to, I wouldn't volunteer the information. That said, if you are scheduled in conflict with your other job, that's your problem. The chains have a policy that you can be scheduled anytime within pharmacy business hours at the main pharmacy you work for, or possibly 24 hours on any day if you are a floater. I've seen PICs intentionally schedule to screw over pharmacists with a second job. Wouldn't happen in the old days, but now...

4. If you are not obligated to, I wouldn't volunteer the information. This is not part of the formal offer, and it's just an ask. If they do ask, I wouldn't lie though.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Yes

2. Probably. Working for a direct/potential competitor (retail) is usually grounds for termination.

3. If the prn is hospital or other non-competing setting, not really necessary. What you do with your free time is not their business. Assuming, of course, that it in no way affects your primary gig.

4. Only if you think telling her will help you out.

I have both retail and hospital job. Let both managers know.

It's not a conflict of interest.