Applying for a 2-4 week summer internship/elective in Australia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarrieTob

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an international medical student currently in my 5th year (10th semester) at Medical University of Gdansk in Poland. I've been trying to look into doing my four-week summer internship/elective in Australia (preferably Sydney or Melbourne) but can't really find much on how to apply for this and which universities offer a short-term elective of only 2-4 weeks. My uni requires two weeks at an intensive care unit and 2 weeks at gyn/obs so it would be great to have the option to chose which department I could do the elective in.

Has anybody got any tips, university hospital recommendations or links that would help me out?
Thanks!

/Carrie

Members don't see this ad.

There really isnt any way to forego the good old fashioned way of finding the medical school websites. You can try opening wiki for a list of Australian med schools then start your web browsing from there.

See if the schools have a particular website for students seeking electives (most of the larger ones do - you are a source of income to them). If the info is minimal contact them directly. Nearly all will charge fees for electives. There's unfortunately no website that summarizes all of them for you. Requires work/hunting around.

If you want more hands-on I'd recommend going rural. Or states like Northern Territory.

O&G is a core rotation that all medical students need to graduate, so it may be harder to arrange.

Good luck.