Applying for anesthesia, prelim personal satement Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompaAPD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. So I submitted my eras about a month ago. I submitted the same personal statement for anesthesia as well as prelim, but i was advised yesturday to write a seperate personal statement for the prelim positions. Is this trully necessary?
thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard from past anesth. residents that they submitted the same personal statement to both. My department chairman of medicine also advised that I send in one personal statement since prelim/TY programs know that ultimately you want to be an anesthesiologist. :)

I sent the same personal statement to both, but added a little paragraph at the end of my TY one to the tune of "I think your program will help me be a good gas passer because..." Not in those words though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually decided to contact each of the prelim programs individually (call or e-mail worked equally well) and I found that most were fine with my anesthesia letter, but a few required I add a paragraph at the end of my statement explaining what my interest and expectations were for their prelim program.

I have allready submitted the same personal statement to both anesthesia and prelim programs. do you think i need to add a paragraph and re-submit or just leave it as is.
thanks again

I think it is fine to leave it as it is. My PD said the same thing about TYs and prelim programs knowing that you are not doing their specialty for your career. If they want to know why you chose medicine vs. surgery vs. TY they can ask you at the interview!