Applying for Anesthesiology Residency this cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepytime2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a long time member of SDN and have created this account specifically for guidance in applying to anesthesiology residency. I would greatly appreciate help from anyone and everyone. I have done quite a bit of research and it seems as it anesthesiology is one of those fields where it is very difficult to find average USMLE scores for applicants who successfully matched at a program.

I am going to be graduating this year from a US MD school. It is not a top tier school by any means.

-second quartile for class rank
-3 honors/1 near honors in clerkships
-one abstract from over 4 years ago
-USMLE Step 1: 244 first attempt
USMLE Step 2: 250
LOR: Will have 1 from critical care/IM, 1 from dept chair anesthesiology, 1 anesthesiology attending, and 1 OB/GYN

Are there any programs that may be out of reach and not worth applying too? Any suggestions on what schools to look into on the east coast? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have been a long time member of SDN and have created this account specifically for guidance in applying to anesthesiology residency. I would greatly appreciate help from anyone and everyone. I have done quite a bit of research and it seems as it anesthesiology is one of those fields where it is very difficult to find average USMLE scores for applicants who successfully matched at a program.

I am going to be graduating this year from a US MD school. It is not a top tier school by any means.

USMLE Step 2: Will be taking in the next couple months and anticipating 245+
LOR: Will have 1 from critical care/IM, 1 from dept chair anesthesiology, 1 anesthesiology attending, and 1 OB/GYN

Are there any programs that may be out of reach and not worth applying too? Any suggestions on what schools to look into on the east coast? Thanks in advance for all your help!

You can literally match anywhere. When I applied I had a very similar resume and almost identical scores and grades. I applied to 19 anesthesia programs and got 19 interview offers. It's all good.

Places I'd definitely recommend on the east coast:
Hopkins, Brigham, UPenn, and Duke. There are of course other awesome programs, but I felt that the above were the most complete programs I interviewed at.

By the way, it's not difficult to find the average scores. Google charting outcomes 2014. Start page 18. Matched was 230, unmatched 208. Your step 1 alone gives you a 0.99 probability of matching. Anesthesiology is no longer a competitive specialty. Good luck with your app!

Edit: re read your post again and realized you meant the score at a specific program. I haven't had luck finding that data either.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is awesome to hear thanks bcat, and 19 for 19 is amazing! I appreciate the advice with the schools. I have heard that there may be a few "top" programs to avoid and also a few schools that may be hidden gems? Pending interviewing well, the sub-par research/lower end MD school shouldn't hurt my chances too badly at top programs?

It's not like they have so much choice nowadays. I'm curious how many HMS grads go into anesthesia nowadays.

It's not like they have so much choice nowadays. I'm curious how many HMS grads go into anesthesia nowadays.

Couple years back they had 3-4 FFP

FWIW I go to a non-HMS ivy, and I'm the only person applying to anesthesiology this year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm also curious how you all think that I'll fair this cycle.

I'm graduating from a DO school:

-Top ten class rank, Sigma Sigma Phi
-Mostly honors (or A's at my school) on clerkships
-Two publications in anesthesia from a summer internship during med school
-USMLE Step 1: 246 / COMLEX 669
-Taking Step 2 at the end of July
- LORs, I have on OB/Gyn, one anesthesiologist at a rural practice, one anesthesiologist who was my mentor for the summer internship, and possibly a surgeon from my surgery clerkship
-Lots of random volunteer work during med school

From what I've seen, I think I'll be okay matching somewhere in the ACGME match. I'm just wondering what schools I should and should not apply to. Mostly because I'm coming from a DO school.

Thanks for the help and I'm sorry for the hijack.

7 GAS matches at HMS this year. Class size total around 164, including 14 MD PHD.

HMS 2015 MATCH LIST
Anesthesiology

BWH
Columbia
MGH
Stanford
UC-Irvine
UMiami
UWashington

Dermatology
Harvard
JHU
Montefiore
NSLIJ
NYU
NYU
Stanford
UMiami
UMichigan
UMinnesota
UPMC

Emergency Medicine
BMC
BWH/MGH
BWH/MGH
JHU
LSU
Mt Sinai
Northwestern
Northwestern
NYP - Columbia/Cornell
UBC Vancouver
UChicago
UCSF
UCLA

Family Medicine
BMC
Contra Costa
Ft. Collins
UCSF

General Surgery
Army - Tacoma, WA
Columbia
MGH
Naval - SanDiego
Tufts
UColorado
UPenn
WashU

Internal Medicine
BWH
BWH
BWH
BWH
BWH
Columbia
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MT Sinai
Northwestern
Stanford
Stanford
Stanford
UCSF
UCSF
UChicago
UMichigan
UWashington
Vanderbilt
Yale

OB/GYN
BWH/MGH
BWH/MGH
Northwestern
UPenn

Child Neuro
MGH
CHB
CHB

Neurology
MGH/BWH
MGH/BWH
MGH/BWH
MGH/BWH
MGH/BWH
MGH/BWH

Neurological Surgery
BWH
MGH
MGH
NYU

Ophthalmology
Bascom
Bascom
Cornell
UCLA
USC
USC
Wilmer

OMFS
MGH
MGH

Orthopedic Surgery
Allegheny General
Harvard
Harvard
Harvard
UVa
Yale

Otolaryngology
MEEI

Pathology
BIDMC
BWH
Columbia

Pediatrics
Baylor
CHB
CHB
CHB
CHB
CHB
CHB
CHoP
MGH
MGH
UCSF
UMinnesota

Plastic Surgery
JHU

Psychiatry
MGH/McLean
Northwestern
UCSF
Walter Reed

Radiology
MGH
UCSF

Radiation Oncology
Harvard
Harvard
Harvard
Harvard
Harvard
Mayo
MSKCC
Stanford
UPenn

Vascular Surgery
Stanford

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, what the heck is Harvard Midlevel School. I am a little daft right now.
Just kidding, I know a few people who went to Haaaavaaaad for some part of their medical education, and make sure that everybody knows that. I am sure it's a great place, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

It's important you apply to 5-10 "backup" programs besides the elite ones. These 5-10 programs will ensure you match somewhere as opposed to only applying to the very best programs. While it is likely you will match at a top 10 program adding those extra 5-10 adds insurance.

1. Mt Sinai in NYC
2. Wake Forest
3. UVA
4. UNC
5. Miami

Geographically, you should be thinking ahead about where you want to practice post residency.
IMHO, as much as it pains me to say it the East Coast is the worst geographic region for this field.

Last edited:
Last time I checked, Harvard graduates in their respective fields still got paid the same as everyone else. However, I will say that is a baller Derm match. Talk about having a leg up over everyone else...

I'm also curious how you all think that I'll fair this cycle.

I'm graduating from a DO school:

-Top ten class rank, Sigma Sigma Phi
-Mostly honors (or A's at my school) on clerkships
-Two publications in anesthesia from a summer internship during med school
-USMLE Step 1: 246 / COMLEX 669
-Taking Step 2 at the end of July
- LORs, I have on OB/Gyn, one anesthesiologist at a rural practice, one anesthesiologist who was my mentor for the summer internship, and possibly a surgeon from my surgery clerkship
-Lots of random volunteer work during med school

From what I've seen, I think I'll be okay matching somewhere in the ACGME match. I'm just wondering what schools I should and should not apply to. Mostly because I'm coming from a DO school.

Thanks for the help and I'm sorry for the hijack.

Look for an upper 1/3 program which has at least 1-2 DOs per class and then decide if you want to apply. If the program has Zero DOs then you know your chances aren't very good. If the program has more than 2 DOs per class you will Be in the position of matching there if you decide it's a good fit.

Last time I checked, Harvard graduates in their respective fields still got paid the same as everyone else. However, I will say that is a baller Derm match. Talk about having a leg up over everyone else...

Harvard Med School is like anything else in life... You need to know how to take advantage of the situation for maximum benefit.

7 GAS matches at HMS this year. Class size total around 164, including 14 MD PHD.

HMS 2015 MATCH LIST
Anesthesiology

BWH
Columbia
MGH
Stanford
UC-Irvine
UMiami
UWashington

Dermatology
Harvard
JHU
Montefiore
NSLIJ
NYU
NYU
Stanford
UMiami
UMichigan
UMinnesota
UPMC

Emergency Medicine
BMC
BWH/MGH
BWH/MGH
JHU
LSU
Mt Sinai
Northwestern
Northwestern
NYP - Columbia/Cornell
UBC Vancouver
UChicago
UCSF
UCLA

Family Medicine
BMC
Contra Costa
Ft. Collins
UCSF

General Surgery
Army - Tacoma, WA
Columbia
MGH
Naval - SanDiego
Tufts
UColorado
UPenn
WashU

Internal Medicine
BWH
BWH
BWH
BWH
BWH
Columbia
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MGH
MT Sinai
Northwestern
Stanford
Stanford
Stanford
UCSF
UCSF
UChicago
UMichigan
UWashington
Vanderbilt
Yale

OB/GYN
BWH/MGH
BWH/MGH
Northwestern
UPenn

Child Neuro
MGH
CHB
CHB

Neurology
MGH/BWH
MGH/BWH
MGH/BWH
MGH/BWH
MGH/BWH
MGH/BWH

Neurological Surgery
BWH
MGH
MGH
NYU

Ophthalmology
Bascom
Bascom
Cornell
UCLA
USC
USC
Wilmer

OMFS
MGH
MGH

Orthopedic Surgery
Allegheny General
Harvard
Harvard
Harvard
UVa
Yale

Otolaryngology
MEEI

Pathology
BIDMC
BWH
Columbia

Pediatrics
Baylor
CHB
CHB
CHB
CHB
CHB
CHB
CHoP
MGH
MGH
UCSF
UMinnesota

Plastic Surgery
JHU

Psychiatry
MGH/McLean
Northwestern
UCSF
Walter Reed

Radiology
MGH
UCSF

Radiation Oncology
Harvard
Harvard
Harvard
Harvard
Harvard
Mayo
MSKCC
Stanford
UPenn

Vascular Surgery
Stanford

Only 2 matched radiology. It's just like anesthesia in 1998. Those 2 will most likely be very happy with their decision 5-7 years down the road.

Harvard Med School is like anything else in life... You need to know how to take advantage of the situation for maximum benefit.

Yeah exactly. Some of the smartest and most academically accomplished physicians have zero business sense and a lot of them end up working for someone else. It's actually quite an anomaly.

Only 2 matched radiology. It's just like anesthesia in 1998. Those 2 will most likely be very happy with their decision 5-7 years down the road.

Highly unlikely. Good luck to those lads who want to attempt to compete in a global market for a job...

Highly unlikely. Good luck to those lads who want to attempt to compete in a global market for a job...

At the time, the narrative against anesthesia was very compelling too. But it didn't play out as anticipated and the 2000s was fantastic for anesthesia. Many anesthesiologists did better than they ever imagined.

We shall see......

At the time, the narrative against anesthesia was very compelling too. But it didn't play out as anticipated and the 2000s was fantastic for anesthesia. Many anesthesiologists did better than they ever imagined.

We shall see......
You can't fool the system twice. They have learned from the 90's. It won't happen again, for a loooong time. That's why they cloned so many CRNAs in the meanwhile.

Thanks Blade, I will look into those programs that you suggest. I know many of those schools are great places and not considered "backups" by any means. I appreciate your help!

Your thread 4 years from now will be: Trying to Find a Job - Cannot!

It's important you apply to 5-10 "backup" programs besides the elite ones. These 5-10 programs will ensure you match somewhere as opposed to only applying to the very best programs. While it is likely you will match at a top 10 program adding those extra 5-10 adds insurance.

1. Mt Sinai in NYC
2. Wake Forest
3. UVA
4. UNC
5. Miami
Those are pretty darn good and competitive programs to be considered "backup" plans. A couple of them are likely in the top 20 programs in the country. Miami might be lumped into a backup group just because of the sheer number of residents they take each year. Many people find those programs listed to be highly desirable programs.

Those are pretty darn good and competitive programs to be considered "backup" plans. A couple of them are likely in the top 20 programs in the country. Miami might be lumped into a backup group just because of the sheer number of residents they take each year. Many people find those programs listed to be highly desirable programs.

I certainly did NOT mean that the 5 programs which I listed are bad programs. They are quite good. But, with a Step 1 of 244 the chances are that applicant will match at one of his/her top 10 programs so I listed another 5 which he/she may not have on the list.

Once an applicant goes beyond 10 programs I consider all the rest "back-up" programs especially with a Step 1 score of 244.

Last year, the NRMP showed that Plastic Surgery and ENT were some of the hardest fields to enter. Only about three-fourths of 4th year US medical students successfully matched into those programs. The numbers were even more abysmal for other students, like foreign medical graduates. They were able to get into those spots less than half the time.

By contrast, the least competitive programs had match rates of nearly 100%. For 2014, the surprising wallflower was Diagnostic Radiology. It was nearly impossible for future radiologists to not get into a radiology training program last year. Even FMG's had almost a 75% likelihood of matching into radiology.

While predictably Pathology and Internal Medicine were shunned by many medical students, look who rounded out the top five in the most unwanted residencies--Anesthesiology. It was actually easier to match into anesthesia than, horrors!, Family Medicine. This was especially true for FMG's, who had about a 75% chance of getting into anesthesia compared to 50% for Family Medicine.

Of course this shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody who's been paying attention. Demand foranesthesiologists have been falling for some time now. The number of practicing anesthesiologists have increased at twice the rate of the general population growth for the last decade. Meanwhile the anesthesia residency program directors keep cranking out more new graduates every year. According to the NRMP, the number of PGY-1 spots in Anesthesiology has increased from 797 in 2010 to 1,049 last year.

The writing may be on the wall for the future of anesthesiologists. It is rapidly becoming a saturated medical specialty with too many providers scrambling for too few good jobs. Factor in the competition from non physicians, the anesthesia job market is on the verge of crashing under its own weight. Good luck to all the medical students on Match Day who want to go into Anesthesiology.

ZMD

My feeling is that anyone fellowship-trained from a top institution who is willing to take care of sick people isn't going to have a hard time finding a decent anesthesiology job. But if I had to do my anesthesia training at the University of Nowhere I'd have to think long and hard before choosing this specialty again.

Last year, the NRMP showed that Plastic Surgery and ENT were some of the hardest fields to enter. Only about three-fourths of 4th year US medical students successfully matched into those programs. The numbers were even more abysmal for other students, like foreign medical graduates. They were able to get into those spots less than half the time.

By contrast, the least competitive programs had match rates of nearly 100%. For 2014, the surprising wallflower was Diagnostic Radiology. It was nearly impossible for future radiologists to not get into a radiology training program last year. Even FMG's had almost a 75% likelihood of matching into radiology.

While predictably Pathology and Internal Medicine were shunned by many medical students, look who rounded out the top five in the most unwanted residencies--Anesthesiology. It was actually easier to match into anesthesia than, horrors!, Family Medicine. This was especially true for FMG's, who had about a 75% chance of getting into anesthesia compared to 50% for Family Medicine.

Of course this shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody who's been paying attention. Demand foranesthesiologists have been falling for some time now. The number of practicing anesthesiologists have increased at twice the rate of the general population growth for the last decade. Meanwhile the anesthesia residency program directors keep cranking out more new graduates every year. According to the NRMP, the number of PGY-1 spots in Anesthesiology has increased from 797 in 2010 to 1,049 last year.

The writing may be on the wall for the future of anesthesiologists. It is rapidly becoming a saturated medical specialty with too many providers scrambling for too few good jobs. Factor in the competition from non physicians, the anesthesia job market is on the verge of crashing under its own weight. Good luck to all the medical students on Match Day who want to go into Anesthesiology.

ZMD

I have to agree with blade's assessment. The practice environment is horrendous as well. Too much emphasis on efficiency at our expense and coronaries. You have to be darn stable emotionally and professionally and reasonably well trained to be able to keep up and stomach the way the practice of anesthesia is going. You have to be darn stable not to fall into a deep depression and think of some crazy things to do to yourself. Hopefully, things will change but it doesnt look like it.

I have to agree with blade's assessment. The practice environment is horrendous as well. Too much emphasis on efficiency at our expense and coronaries. You have to be darn stable emotionally and professionally and reasonably well trained to be able to keep up and stomach the way the practice of anesthesia is going. You have to be darn stable not to fall into a deep depression and think of some crazy things to do to yourself. Hopefully, things will change but it doesnt look like it.
I think this is actually Great Z's assessment, not Blade's? Although I respect Blade. :)

Every hospital I have rotated through the anesthesiologists (even the young ones) are very happy with the field. I have been told numerous times at certain places that there is a shortage of attendings. Of course part time work may be more difficult to come by, but from the looks of it if your willing to work 55+ hours a week you are going to make great money. You have no patients and when your off, your off. To me thats fantastic!

Also with a fellowship in pain management I feel you can't go wrong.

Blade, in regards to the 5 programs you suggested taking a look at: If the majority of schools (say 10 or so) schools I plan to apply to fall in the "top 15" ranking, are those safe enough? or should I be applying to few that are even safer? Thanks for your help

Meanwhile the anesthesia residency program directors keep cranking out more new graduates every year. According to the NRMP, the number of PGY-1 spots in Anesthesiology has increased from 797 in 2010 to 1,049 last year.
https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/tabid/259/Publications/GraduateMedicalEducationDataResourceBook.aspx

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2015_final.pdf

according to this data there were 1,479 anesthesia grads in 2007. There were 1,600 PGY 1/2 anesthesia spots offered in 2015. That only corresponds to a ~8% increase from the 2003 to 2015 entering classes...

Last edited:
Does anyone have any insight into categorical vs advanced position matching? What is preferable? If you decide to rank an advanced spot, do you then need to interview at places for a prelim year? Thanks again everyone for your help!

Does anyone have any insight into categorical vs advanced position matching? What is preferable? If you decide to rank an advanced spot, do you then need to interview at places for a prelim year? Thanks again everyone for your help!

What is preferable depends on your preferences. And if you rank an advanced spot, and match to that, and haven't interviewed for prelims/TYs... then you are unmatched, so, yeeeeess?

That aside, categorical seems to be the main preference these days, because med students as a whole are fairly risk averse. It's a guaranteed full match. Reasons people might prefer to do a separate intern year include cushy TYs at other hospitals, geographical flexibility, better chance at slots at competitive programs that have mixed classes, etc.

The only reason I would consider an advanced program would be in order to match at a top program that maybe I would not have otherwise matched at if I had only applied for a categorical spot. Is this a good enough reason to then go on 5-10 additional pre-lim/ty interviews? Thanks courtnes for the insight

A few top places have primarily advanced spots- NYU, Hopkins, Emory are just a few that immediately come to mind. Also consider what the intern year will be like at your categorical program- will you get to do anesthesia early (some programs have up to 6 months of anesthesia in intern year) or will you primarily be on medicine wards (one categorical program I interviewed at had ~10 months of Gen Med wards...yuck!). TY/prelim IM years can be fairly/very cush depending on the specific program (much more benign than their counterparts at university hospitals via categorical programs). Assuming you can find a decent/relatively cush TY/prelim med year in the city you would like to do your advanced program (unless of course you don't mind moving twice or just want to explore a new place for 1 year without strings attached), I think many people would agree that that is preferable to a categorical program.

After doing some searching it seems many schools are beginning/have transitioned to mainly categorical spots? Possibly people are better prepared for the following 3 years if doing the intern year at the same program? I would not mind an advanced position, but I would want to be in the same location. Intending to apply to the top 15-20 schools without much geographical consideration, I feel like it would be very hard to make this work. Would I literally have to interview at another 15-20 intern year programs in each location? Does this make sense? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help, just a bit confused on how people go about this and leaning towards just applying all categorical. I just do not want to sacrifice going to a well respected program by doing this.

Also where is the best place to find how many categorical/advanced spots a program offers. Very few seem to have this information on their personal sites. Example MGH

Last edited:
After doing some searching it seems many schools are beginning/have transitioned to mainly categorical spots? Possibly people are better prepared for the following 3 years if doing the intern year at the same program? I would not mind an advanced position, but I would want to be in the same location. Intending to apply to the top 15-20 schools without much geographical consideration, I feel like it would be very hard to make this work. Would I literally have to interview at another 15-20 intern year programs in each location? Does this make sense? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help, just a bit confused on how people go about this and leaning towards just applying all categorical. I just do not want to sacrifice going to a well respected program by doing this.

Also where is the best place to find how many categorical/advanced spots a program offers. Very few seem to have this information on their personal sites. Example MGH

Most people apply to many/all of the prelim programs in the home city as their med school (so they wouldn't have to move twice) and/or all the programs near their original hometown (if they want to be close to family). Also, you should apply to prelim programs in cities where you know there is an advanced program that would likely be high on your list. For example, if you applied to city X and it had primarily categorical spots, I would probably forgo applying to prelims there for the sake of sanity. But if city Y has 1-2 top programs that you are eyeing and they have many advanced spots, then I would certainly apply to prelims there. Hope that helps.

1. Mt Sinai in NYC
2. Wake Forest
3. UVA
4. UNC
5. Miami

Geographically, you should be thinking ahead about where you want to practice post residency.
IMHO, as much as it pains me to say it the East Coast is the worst geographic region for this field.

I can't speak for the others...but can say at Wake we have had no trouble staying inside the number 35 or so on our rank lists for the past few years for 14 spots. We also matched about half of our 14 spots in our top 15 ranked applicants....Sounds like top 10 competitive to me. We interview about 130.

Putting UNC in the same group as Wake is funny to me, though.

Top 5 in the southeast in most people's regards = Duke, Wake, UAB, Vandy, and UVA. Everything else is in a different tier. Just depends on what sort of clinical training you want (more research/critical care oriented? Duke/Vandy might be better. More clinical-training/consultant oriented? Wake/UAB/Vandy. Will be good at both coming from any of these...but they definitely have different slants).

Hi all,

1. Mt Sinai in NYC
2. Wake Forest
3. UVA
4. UNC
5. Miami

I do not know much about #2-4, but there is no way you can use Mount Sinai as a backup. Your application is probably only average among Mount Sinai interviewees.

From someone who just went thru the cycle recently, you will get many interviews, and as long as you rock the interview, you should be able to match into one of your top 3 ranks that you interviewed at. I had similar stats and received interviews from 75% of the places I applied to.

What's everyone's thought on only applying to categorical programs? Is this unheard of or is it fairly safe now that so many are categorical? I'm not sure how I'm going to play it yet, but I would much rather do that than a prelim and and an advanced position. Just trying to gauge the best way to apply.