applying for D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms.doc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this site. I have graduated with a BS in biology. Now I am thinking of applying to osteopathic schools. My GPA is 3.55 and MCAT score of 24. I am thinking of applying to CCOM. I was just wondering if anyone else is also applying there. Does anyone got accepted to CCOM having a GPA and MCAT in this range? Please will someone guide me that with this GPA and MCAT, I even have a chance for osteo.. schools!

Members don't see this ad.

ms.doc, you have a good gpa and your mcat is decent. I got in with a 3.4 and 26. But numbers are only a small part of the DO acceptance picture. They look for people who are enthusiastic and motivated to study osteopathic medicine, and who have activities to back that up. I am very fortunate to have worked in an ER for the past three years as an EMT/er tech, and I also work with a DO who is a CCOM alumnus and she wrote me a fabulous rec letter. I think I was lucky to get in this year. I think the rec letter really helped. Make sure your activities show you have a strong interest in medicine, as well as showing you have an understanding of osteopathic medicine. Good luck.

ms.doc

First of all, welcome.

Your grades are good and your MCAT is not too bad. I would suggest finding a DO in the area who went to CCOM and speaking to them about a letter of recommendation. I would also get some health care related experience, if you don't already have it.

You may also want to contact CCOM about upcoming Open Houses. If they don't have one in the near future, you may want to contact the Admission Office and set up a time to meet with an Admissions counselor and even a current student. You may be able to sit in on a lecture, take a tour of the school, and speak to the admissions office about your application.

You need to apply early. Because you already have an MCAT score you can apply the day the application becomes available online. I would fill it out as soon as possible. Also look into other DO schools that you may be interested in.

<a href="http://www.aacom.org" target="_blank">www.aacom.org</a> Here is where you will find the online application

Good luck with everything!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also applying to CCOM, and I got a letter from a DO who went there. But here is my situation- his letter is one that will go to the premed committee at my school, and eventually to all the DO schools I am applying to...so the letter is not geared specifically towards CCOM and he does not mention that he is a CCOM alumnus. Should I ask him to write me another letter more specific towards CCOM that I send only with my CCOM secondary?

That's right. You want to personalize your application and this concept applies to the rest of the application as well i.e. essays. Make sure that your recommendation is strong because few weak remarks will be very costly. Pay attention every details and you should do just fine. Remember there are many applicants with your grades and MCAT scores. You must stand out as an applicant!
PCOM CLASS of 2006.

Puddin, My DO letter from a CCOM alumnus did not specifically say that she was a CCOM graduate. They asked me about her in my interview and I mentioned that she went to CCOM. I think you should ask him again, and if he doesn't feel comfortable saying he went to CCOM, you need to respect his wishes, as he is already doing you a big favor writing a letter. Ideally, though, you want him to mention that he went there and how you would fit in there well.