Applying for dental residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sherif kamel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently got my comprehensive NBDE part 1 board scores, i scored 84, and i have read a lot of rumors and threads about the comparison between ppl. with old board scores above 90s and all,,
I want you guys to post your experience on the following :

1. Are part 1 scores more important than part 2,
2. Tell me if i can apply with my NBDE part 1 score to residency programs, or do i need to sit for my Part 2 before i can apply,

3. Do you really think that the board scores matters, and i have to sit for part 1 again ,

As i understand now that the NBDE are not meant for determining ones knowledge and who is a better candidate in the selection of postgraduate program,, well ofcourse if you score high on ur boards this gives you some credit,, but is it all about the board scores ?!

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently got my comprehensive NBDE part 1 board scores, i scored 84, and i have read a lot of rumors and threads about the comparison between ppl. with old board scores above 90s and all,,
I want you guys to post your experience on the following :

1. Are part 1 scores more important than part 2,
2. Tell me if i can apply with my NBDE part 1 score to residency programs, or do i need to sit for my Part 2 before i can apply,

3. Do you really think that the board scores matters, and i have to sit for part 1 again ,

As i understand now that the NBDE are not meant for determining ones knowledge and who is a better candidate in the selection of postgraduate program,, well ofcourse if you score high on ur boards this gives you some credit,, but is it all about the board scores ?!
1. Yes. Part 2 is essentially an afterthought. Part 1 is weighted far, far more heavily when evaluating residency applications.

2. You can apply before taking part II, but as far as I'm aware every program in the country requires you to pass both parts before beginning.

3. Yes, they matter immensely, particularly for foreign dentists since it's very difficult to evaluate foreign dental schools against American. As for retaking the exam, that's something you have to decide for yourself.

1. Yes. Part 2 is essentially an afterthought. Part 1 is weighted far, far more heavily when evaluating residency applications.

2. You can apply before taking part II, but as far as I'm aware every program in the country requires you to pass both parts before beginning.

3. Yes, they matter immensely, particularly for foreign dentists since it's very difficult to evaluate foreign dental schools against American. As for retaking the exam, that's something you have to decide for yourself.

Thanks for your reply ,
as for no. 1, how can you be so sure that part 1 weighted far more heavily,?

well i know some person who scored a 99 on his boards part 1 and he couldn't get a residency for three years in a row,,
so i dont think it's only a matter of score, it's just one more thing that is supporting your application i guess,,
another friend got a 79 on the boards and he got a residency, !!
well i think it's unfair to compare using the scores since they do not really reflect your clinical capabilites and since there has been two different formats for the exam they shouldnt be comparing ,, and that's what i believe the ADA said, that the board scores should not be used in the prcoess of giving ppl. oppourtunities over others with lower board scores ,, as long as a pass mark is achevied..
and they also intend to make the NBDE a pass/fail exam in 2010, so this just explains what i am trying to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply ,

well i know some person who scored a 99 on his boards part 1 and he couldn't get a residency for three years in a row,,
so i dont think it's only a matter of score, it's just one more thing that is supporting your application i guess,,
another friend got a 79 on the boards and he got a residency, !!
well i think it's unfair to compare using the scores since they do not really reflect your clinical capabilites and since there has been two different formats for the exam they shouldnt be comparing ,, and that's what i believe the ADA said, that the board scores should not be used in the prcoess of giving ppl. oppourtunities over others with lower board scores ,, as long as a pass mark is achevied..
and they also intend to make the NBDE a pass/fail exam in 2010, so this just explains what i am trying to say.

While you re correct thats it does not show who is more profficient clinically, it does show the studius nature of the person and program directors have to have something solid to go on and and that is a strong part 1 board score.

Thanks for your reply ,
It is weighted more heavily because 90%+ of applicants have NOT taken Part 2 by the time the apply for residency programs. Most submit applications in June-October, and most take Part 2 in December-March.

Therefore, Part 1 is traditionally the comparison that programs use to evaluate residency applicants. If most applicants haven't taken part 2, it isn't a good comparison across the applicant pool.

Actually, if you are applying directy out of dental school, then what the previous replies have stated about Part I / Part II is accurate - most applicants haven't even taken Part II by the time they send their applications in. However, if you have taken Part II (i.e. you are applying after completing denta school) than Part II does make an impact on your application.

As far as the NBDE I / II and if its supposed to be used as a way to "rank" applicants, the official statement from the ADA is that the NBDE scores are NOT supposed to be used in any way to rate / rank students. Because residency programs still use them, NBDE Part I will be going to a strictly Pass/Fail scoring method as of 2010, with NBDE Part II soon to follow (no set date yet). With that said, if you've taken Part I and / or Part II and you have a score, it's gonna be used when you apply for residency.