Applying for fall 2009 and GRE score?

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by beebee0, Jan 5, 2009.

1. beebee0

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I just took the GRE last week and did really bad (V410, Q 760). However, since a lot of the deadlines are approaching, do you guys think that I have a chance at all to get into a program in Health Administration? :oops:I have 2 years of working experience in drug discovery and volunteered in hospitals before, but have a relatively low GPA majoring in chemistry(3.01), I plan to retake the GRE, but now I'm not sure if I should just use this score, and go ahead and apply for the schools with earlier deadlines. (I was thinking about Loma Linda, NY Medical College and Texas A&M). any advice would be helpful. thanks!

#1 beebee0, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. TJNYM

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Your scores aren't bad. Most public health schools seem more concerned with the quantitative section anyway and you did great in that. The average score on the verbal section is somewhere in the 400s anyway (I think around 460-470), so even though your score there isn't ideal I don't think it's so bad that it would hinder your chances that drastically.

3. ImPublicHealthy

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I agree. While your verbal is low, your quantitative is great--which is much more important to admissions committees. As long as you perform decently in the writing section (which in my opinion, is more important than verbal), then I don't think your score will hurt you. If you look at admissions websites, most mention your quantitative score to be one of the admissions factors (650 or better, usually), but I don't know of any that explicitly mention your verbal score as being important.

4. GRE Scores are used more for determining merit based scholarships than admission

5. UnsunnedSnow

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    You cleared the 1000 mark, so I think you'll be okay (I've heard many schools use that as a first round application review criteria- helps them cull down the # of apps). Also make sure you've got a great personal statement!