Applying for Fall 2010 (formerly the Class of 2014!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
woohoo got an interview invite for univ. of buffalo. I posted in the ub 2010 thread too, but I'm excited. I know im not the only one, but I'm coming from SoCal. Seems crazy, my first interview invite is all the way on the opposite coast. This whole thing is starting to feel more real

Members don't see this ad :)
woohoo got an interview invite for univ. of buffalo. I posted in the ub 2010 thread too, but I'm excited. I know im not the only one, but I'm coming from SoCal. Seems crazy, my first interview invite is all the way on the opposite coast. This whole thing is starting to feel more real

Congrats. I got an interview invite to Thomas Jefferson. This is the 3rd interview I have had to decline. I was accepted to an accredited school, so there's no point interviewing at non-accredited schools while I wait for my top choices =/

Congrats. I got an interview invite to Thomas Jefferson. This is the 3rd interview I have had to decline. I was accepted to an accredited school, so there's no point interviewing at non-accredited schools while I wait for my top choices =/

crazy!
atleast you're already accepted. You for sure have somewhere to go next year lol.

Congrats to everyone already getting accepted! I know this waiting is really getting stressful for me. Anyone else getting tired of friends and family that don't really understand how competitive this is telling them that they shouldn't worry. I just want to smack them when they tell me: "Of course you will get in you have nothing to worry about"

Congrats to everyone already getting accepted! I know this waiting is really getting stressful for me. Anyone else getting tired of friends and family that don't really understand how competitive this is telling them that they shouldn't worry. I just want to smack them when they tell me: "Of course you will get in you have nothing to worry about"

lol I totally know what you mean.

What are you stats? if you dont mind :)

What are you stats? if you dont mind :)

I don't mind at all. My Cum. Gpa is a 3.1. Major gpa 3.6. Pcat 70. 5 years independent pharmacy experience as a technician, Served on the executive board of three university organizations, a year of independent research and an extensive amount of volunteer experience.

In total I have received 6 invitations to interview, declined 3 of them, 1 put me on the alternate list an 1 accepted me. I have yet to be rejected. I applied to 12 schools because I do have low stats. Gpa and pcat aren't everything, most people will agree.

Please don't hesitate to pm me with any other questions you may have.

Funny story about family members who say you shouldn't worry.

My parents told me that for a week before finally telling me they had my acceptance letter to Sullivan. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW awesome! congrats! I have received 2 more interviews in the past two days, so I am pretty pumped about that!

got 2 more interview invites today!!!
MCPHS and Shenandoah

2 acceptances in one day = dopeness

thats-dope.jpg

Oh sigh, i'm jealous of everyone getting invites to interviews and acceptances already!! Congrats to those people~.

I'm scrambling to finish my applications for the Nov 2 deadline - I'll finish them for sure, it's just tricky timing, because my boyfriend conveniently scheduled to visit ... tomorrow from Hawaii for a week. Ayahhh!!! I told him it was okay then, cuz I assumed I'd be finished by then, but I should have known my procrastinating self would perservere...!

Anyway, milestone for me, all four of my LORs have FINALLY been submitted to PharmCAS! Two had submitted back in July and... The other two.... took much more time. It's been tricky with one of them because she is sick, and had a lot of letters to write. She even told me she might now make my deadline ....! I was really sad because I felt of all my LOR people, she would have written me the best letter. But I didn't wanna pressure her, cuz ... she's sick. And. Well, pressuring people and possibly pissing them off when they're going to write about you is never a good thing. Anyway, long story short, she submitted it this week! And my last person, my boss, he submitted it today! Just in time for Nov 2. :) Now it's time to finish the actual applications, lol....

got flights booked, doinng Shenandoah and MCPHS in one Friday-Monday weekend. It was cheaper to do it that way

edit: Have hotels/ motels (not sure what the difference is) in VA and Boston.

Last edited:
got flights booked, doinng Shenandoah and MCPHS in one Friday-Monday weekend. It was cheaper to do it that way

edit: Have hotels/ motels (not sure what the difference is) in VA and Boston.

Goodluck at your Shenandoah interview. If you arrive at night and are driving to Winchester, WATCH OUT FOR DEER! Its a pretty scary drive. I arrived at 12 midnight and was tired from flying, so I was a bit frightened during my trek to Winchester.

Goodluck at your Shenandoah interview. If you arrive at night and are driving to Winchester, WATCH OUT FOR DEER! Its a pretty scary drive. I arrived at 12 midnight and was tired from flying, so I was a bit frightened during my trek to Winchester.

I'm arriving at 5am, taking the redeye lol. benadryl ftw. I'll still look out though. That would suck so bad! I heard teh police are pretty strict on that road too

on a side note, i just got pwnt by my anatomy practical. atleast I have some interviews before my grades drop

I'm arriving at 5am, taking the redeye lol. benadryl ftw. I'll still look out though. That would suck so bad! I heard teh police are pretty strict on that road too

on a side note, i just got pwnt by my anatomy practical. atleast I have some interviews before my grades drop

I didn't see any law enforcement from the airport to the hotel.

Yeah, since ive been accepted, senioritis has hit me real hard. lol

I didn't see any law enforcement from the airport to the hotel.

Yeah, since ive been accepted, senioritis has hit me real hard. lol

Lucky! I gotta snap out of it. UCSD, USN, and UCSF will still see the grades from this quarter (if I'm lucky enough to get an interview), and I haven't even interviewed anywhere yet

Lucky! I gotta snap out of it. UCSD, USN, and UCSF will still see the grades from this quarter (if I'm lucky enough to get an interview), and I haven't even interviewed anywhere yet

Be patient. I didnt think I was going to get accepted anywhere, so I applied to 15 schools. I interviewed at 4 and declined interview invitations to 4 as well. I hope everything works out for ya.

Ya, I still have time to turn things around luckily

I have a quick question for everyone who has been accepted to schools, specifically Shenandoah University. I have seen throughout the forum that once you get an acceptance letter you have about 2 weeks to reply back and reserve your spot. I also saw that for SU on PharmCAS it says that you must submit a $1,000 non-refundable deposit before March. Does this mean if you get an acceptance letter from them, you must mail them the money within the two weeks, or is there just some nominal fee and/or a form to fill out to hold your spot until March when the money is due. The reason I ask is because I am still waiting on my first choice, VCU, to respond with the results from my interview, and don't want to get accepted somewhere else (i.e. SU) and have to send them money before I hear a definite answer from VCU. Thanks to anyone who can help.

I'm worried I won't even get an interview :(

How many schools did you apply to? Also, did you apply to schools accepting students with a relatively low average gpa.
6 schools; maryland, ohiostate, south carolina, colorado, iowa, suny@buffalo

b.s. in biochem
pcat: 82 comp
gpa: 3.66 on pharmcas
little over a 1 year research experience with 2 publications

not much else EC wise....I just need to have some faith in myself.

Last edited:
If you get in go in the service afterwards. Chains suck and I am a thirty year testament to that. You go in a Major or equivalent, do 20 yrs., and retire. With a chain no retirement, no benefits,etc. I do not see why anyone would not go into the service with so much job security. I live in a metro area, and pharmacy jobs are as scarce as hen's teeth here. Much griping from students just graduating. Too many pharmacists and the greedy schools just keep pumping them out so that their over paid professors can keep getting their fat salaries and retirement. What a racket, On second thought -teach in RX school when you finish!

From what I gather from student interns, if you pay you play. In other words paying students have a better chance than scholarship students. You have a better chance at private than state. Makes sense. More people want to go to the cheap schools. Do well on the pcat and you are in despite grades. Also do well on interview. If you are well rounded and not an egghead

Hey Delano, I'd recommend joining TPA. I got to go to my first meeting the other night and had a great time. The meal was paid for, I got to see a presentation from gsk, and meet-and-greet with pharmacists and techs from our area. I'm pretty sure it'd be the same up in SA.

OK sounds cool. I might join it once the new year starts. Thanks.

I'm trying to avoid studying by finding other things to do...so whos got midterms this weeK?
I have anatomy tomorrow and ecology and friday.

I have a stats midterm on Wednesday. I just got done registering for the Spring semester. I had to fit everything together in this last semester, so in addition to Govt, Physics, and Genetics, I have a Music Foundations: Musical Skills class. :smuggrin:

My next quarter is genetics, micro, and germ lit lol

last quarter will be all ge's. Next two quarters will be easy

Yeah basically! Interviews are sometimes done as late as January. USC starts their interview "sessions" in November, and UoP in October. I am hoping!

How do non-PharmCAS schools work?

Wait...So then lets say I finish my freshman year this year, then this August I take my PCAT and then I apply in September..using only my freshman year grades / G.P.A / transcript and PCAT score????? So you get admitted without actually have completed all the prerequisites (you would be in the 2nd and final year of pre-reqs) but still finishing up the second half of pre-reqs??? Im just a bit confused. :confused:

That would sure cut the app costs way down.

Wait...So then lets say I finish my freshman year this year, then this August I take my PCAT and then I apply in September..using only my freshman year grades / G.P.A / transcript and PCAT score????? So you get admitted without actually have completed all the prerequisites (you would be in the 2nd and final year of pre-reqs) but still finishing up the second half of pre-reqs??? Im just a bit confused. :confused:

Your acceptance into a pharmacy program is conditional, meaning that you would need to complete all your pre-reqs by the time you matriculate (usually summer into fall). Hope that helps a bit.

So unless you know that you will have all your pre-reqs completed by next summer, then it would be a waste of time and money to apply since you would not be getting in for that cycle.

Your acceptance into a pharmacy program is conditional, meaning that you would need to complete all your pre-reqs by the time you matriculate (usually summer into fall). Hope that helps a bit.

So unless you know that you will have all your pre-reqs completed by next summer, then it would be a waste of time and money to apply since you would not be getting in for that cycle.

So if I want to begin pharmacy school in Fall 2011, I need to apply to schools in Fall 2010 with my PCAT scores and this years g.p.a. and indicate that I will have all of my pre-reqs completed by Summer 2011 (end of P2)?

Is this right? My acceptance would be conditional in that I can be accepting and I may attend the school the following fall as long as I complete all my pre-reqs by then and if I dont do so then my acceptance will be revoked?

So if what I am saying is correct, then the only g.p.a. taken into consideration is the first years g.p.a. ??:scared:

So if I want to begin pharmacy school in Fall 2011, I need to apply to schools in Fall 2010 with my PCAT scores and this years g.p.a. and indicate that I will have all of my pre-reqs completed by Summer 2011 (end of P2)?

Is this right? My acceptance would be conditional in that I can be accepting and I may attend the school the following fall as long as I complete all my pre-reqs by then and if I dont do so then my acceptance will be revoked?

So if what I am saying is correct, then the only g.p.a. taken into consideration is the first years g.p.a. ??:scared:

Yes, then don't offer you a spot based on your predicted gpa, they offer you a spot based on what you have right now ;) and if the only classes you will complete by the time you apply are freshmen year worth of classes, then that is what they will look at. Does this help ?

Look at the schools you're applying to, as application cycles can vary. Some use PharmCAS, some do not. Some require apps to be turned in by November 1, others let you submit as late as spring, etc. Looking this information up will tell you when to apply.

Acceptance is conditional upon you completing the pre-reqs by a given deadline before admission. For some schools, this is by the end of Spring semester, for others it's by day one of classes at the pharmacy school.

The GPA taken into consideration is the final one they have in their hands when they're making their cuts and sending out interview invites.

Hope that helps.

Congrats on all acceptance and interviews. How long was the wait process to get a response about an interview from each school?