Applying for med school -- "nerd" applicant pools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ichor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I came upon this College Confidential post and its talk about the nerd pool got me thinking.

Okay. So you gotta get a great GPA and MCAT score, and you have to shadow a doctor, volunteer at a hospital, do research with a professor.

But how do you get out of the nerd pool? In what ways have you guys done so, or plan to do so?

Members don't see this ad.

So I came upon this College Confidential post and its talk about the nerd pool got me thinking.

Okay. So you gotta get a great GPA and MCAT score, and you have to shadow a doctor, volunteer at a hospital, do research with a professor.

But how do you get out of the nerd pool? In what ways have you guys done so, or plan to do so?

wot

Members don't see this ad :)
man some weird stuff floats to the top when you're trolling around at 5 am on a sunday morning. I just got off a 3-3 ER shift, what's everyone else's excuse

CC is great for high school students, but their premed forum is to be taken with a grain of salt. It's full of parents who have never been through the process, but act as they have lol.

I think what you are really trying to ask how not to be regarded as a cookie cutter applicant and add some "wow" factor in your application, while still jumping through the same hoops as other premeds. This question has been addressed thousands of times on SDN, so you should do a search. (i don't know why you felt the need to label premeds as "nerds" but I think it lessens the chances that they will choose to help you.)

Lol. No wonder you believe a nerd pool exists. College Confidential contains clueless premeds and their parents who are preaching some random, incorrect stuff.

College Confidential. :laugh:

I'll also note that that poster did not mention what "tier" the schools are in. No matter who you are, you'll have trouble if you only apply to top schools. Having higher stats can often give a false sense of security when applying. It's possible they were just cookie-cutter applicants (not necessarily in the "nerd pool") who caught a bad break.

As for your roundabout way to ask how to stand out, do what you want but make the most of it. Don't just go through the motions.

RxAwgfw.jpg

none of those are necessarily true...so let's start there

....we're all applying to med school. Doesn't that automatically put every applicant in the nerd pool?

....we're all applying to med school. Doesn't that automatically put every applicant in the nerd pool?

:thumbup: Ditto. I was just about to say isn't that a prerequisite?