applying for med school while working abroad?

em31

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 14, 2004
    I'm going to be working in the UK beginning in July and I am planning to apply for med school while I am there. Is this a bad idea? I don't really want to wait another year (after I get back from the UK in a year) to apply, but I know it'll be difficult if I have to fly back for interviews. Any advice/input would be great! Thanks in advance!

BaseballFan

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jan 26, 2004
      em31 said:
      I'm going to be working in the UK beginning in July and I am planning to apply for med school while I am there. Is this a bad idea? I don't really want to wait another year (after I get back from the UK in a year) to apply, but I know it'll be difficult if I have to fly back for interviews. Any advice/input would be great! Thanks in advance!

I spent half of the application year living in the Middle East.

It is very annoying to deal with everything from abroad, but it is possible.

You can do most everything related to your application via email from abroad. Many secondary applications are accessed online as well.

If you are a strong applicant, you can also try to schedule your interviews in bunches, so as to minimize your travel.

In my opinion, if you are a strong candidate, then I think the process will go much more smoothly from abroad. Otherwise, you might end up making multiple trips on short notice to interview late in the season, which will cost you a lot of $$.

Good Luck!

About the Ads

Newquagmire

15+ Year Member
      Oct 30, 2002
        what part of the UK will you be in? note that some areas (i.e. those close to london) make the travel considerably easier. otherwise, you may find the worst part of your journey the unbelievably long time it takes to get from one part of the country to the airport (and vice versa).

it's not hard, but it is fatiguing (sp?), even if you can combine all your interviews. you just get tired of putting on a face after awhile. agreed with baseball though, it is easier if you are a strong applicant. the prices for flying from london to the USA isn't even that bad during interview season. you'll find it's competitive or even cheaper than domestic flights since it's not during tourist season.

i had very few secondaries that weren't online. i can only remember two right now (cornell and nyu). i suggest trying to get your hands on these ahead of time or making sure you have a trusted contact person at home forwarding these to you. non-priority mail takes anywhere from 4 days to a full week each way transatlantic. fax is very helpful, but can be expensive. you may also try emailing with PDFs...

melophilic

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jun 23, 2003
          I spent the year abroad in Korea and the whole application process was fine. I clumped 6 interviews in late October/early November and came back a second time in February to do the rest. It's totally do-able, but be sure to send your secondaries ASAP (it's easy to slack off once you're out of the country :) ) I turned in my secondaries anywhere from late July to mid October, which is why I had the february interviews. Good luck!

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.