Applying for Navy HPSP Right now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baisinmc424

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for the Navy HPSP with a recruiter. I have submitted all the necessary forms, and am now awaiting to set a date to get my MEPS physical done. I know I am late in the "application cycle" for the scholarship, and I am perfectly fine settling for the 3 for 3 HPSP. My only concern is that my recruiter is saying that I cannot apply for another 6 months if I get denied the scholarship. Meaning that if my application won't be processed until August/September (optimistically), I cannot apply until March of 2013. I'm not very confident that I will be accepted this year due to how late I am. My GPA is a 3.75 and I have an 22 AA, and I will be attending Loma Linda this fall. I talked to an Army recruiter about the HPSP, but he told me that his superiors would likely prevent him from working with me on my application when they find out I'm applying for the Navy's HPSP. So my biggest concern is whether or not I should submit my application for the Navy HPSP in order to have a better chance.

I'm wondering:
  • does the Navy have an Order of Merit List like the Army?
  • should I just apply to the Army HPSP because of their OML?
  • should I ask my Navy recruiter to hold my application until December so that I can be early for the 3 for 3 cycle?

Thanks ahead of time for your input

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should compare the merits of the two services when deciding which to apply for.
Are you asking me which one I would prefer? Or which one would likely choose me?

I was only considering applying to the other branches to increase my chances of getting being awarded the scholarship. I am all for the Navy since my dad, uncle, and cousins are all Marines.

Members don't see this ad :)
The same thing happened to me which I'm am very disappointed with. I wanted to apply to both the Army and Navy HPSP, but had to ultimately choose between the two, and chose the Navy because the Army recruiter did not want to proceed after hearing that I would chose Navy if I received the scholarship.

This led me to being placed on the alternate list with the Navy because of the how late I was when going up to the board. I believe if I proceeded with the Army I would have received a scholarship because of how early I would have been within the cycle.

Now I'm unfortunately probably going to miss out on a year of scholarship and hopefully receive a 3 yr with the Army. I am in the process with the Army again to have everything ready when October rolls around.

I am a little upset because I hear on this forum how people were able to apply to both and choose which branch they wanted to enlist with.

But anyways that's life and everything happens for a reason. Hopefully I can get the Navy's HPSP sometime in the summer!

Also, I am not familiar with the 3 for 3 HPSP. Could you please explain that to me, thanks.

Thats exactly what I'm afraid of, I'm sorry to hear that was the case with your app. The 3 for 3 was just my way of saying the 3 year HPSP, sorry if I caused any confusion.

My recruiter keeps telling me that I'll be fine, but I feel as though he either is lying or doesn't know. I'm just lost on what I should do in regards to continuing my Navy app or starting one with the Army.

With regards to the 3 yr scholarship- I asked my recruiter the same thing and he said that they do not offer them unless they couldn't fill all of their 4 yrs. So far it seems they are able to fill all of their 4 yrs seeing that I was placed on the alternate list.This is why I am now in the process with the Army because they definitely have 3 yr scholarships available.

Last edited:
Are you asking me which one I would prefer? Or which one would likely choose me?

I was only considering applying to the other branches to increase my chances of getting being awarded the scholarship. I am all for the Navy since my dad, uncle, and cousins are all Marines.

If you want the Navy then plan for success - don't assume failure. There will be some selectees who will turn down their scholarship.