Applying for NY AGD just to experience living in the city?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youraverageasia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I will be graduating next year from DS and I've been thinking about my future plans. One of those is to apply to a NY AGD to experience living in the city. It has always been my dream to live in the city and I feel like doing an AGD there would be a great way to achieve that. For those of you who had done an NY AGD, could you please tell me about your experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about AEGD, but now is a horrible time to be in a hospital-based GPR in NYC. Dental residents at those hospitals are forced to help with COVID patients without adequate PPE. They’re risking their life while learning nothing about dentistry which is the reason why they are there in the first place. Paying rent in NYC is also a pain in the butt.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, you're barely going to make ends meet on a resident salary. Not to mention theres more "lesser" quality programs than great.

What kind of city life are your expecting on your money?

Members don't see this ad :)
I moved to NYC primarily to live in NYC (and gain clinical dental experience). I was lucky in that the GPR provided a one bedroom apartment for me for around 800 a month.

I mean, you're barely going to make ends meet on a resident salary. Not to mention theres more "lesser" quality programs than great.

What kind of city life are your expecting on your money?

I agree with above.

You won't have any problem matching SOMEWHERE due to there are just so many gpr/aegd programs in nyc. This is because schools around nyc pump out roughly 650 dentists every year and many of them go on to do gpr/aegd if they decide to stay. In my opinion, this creates many of these residencies to be....just okay. You might learn some stuff but won't give you that much more advantage compare to your colleagues who are out there working and learning under a good mentor or CE. There are few programs that will give you great clinical exposure but those are very competitive.

If experiencing NYC is important and money is not an issue, go for it. Just understand that there may be some negatives.

Hospital-based GPR programs are definitely having their dental residents to help out with COVID-19 patients with minimal PPE. One of my colleagues was told by his residency that as of March, there will be no more dental experience.

Not sure about AEGD, but now is a horrible time to be in a hospital-based GPR in NYC. Dental residents at those hospitals are forced to help with COVID patients without adequate PPE. They’re risking their life while learning nothing about dentistry which is the reason why they are there in the first place. Paying rent in NYC is also a pain in the butt.
It's even worse for people who are doing GPR in NY without having passed a clinical licensure exam. If they are forced out or quit their GPR in the midst of this, they are basically unlicensed.

I moved to NYC primarily to live in NYC (and gain clinical dental experience). I was lucky in that the GPR provided a one bedroom apartment for me for around 800 a month.
Could you DM me more information on your GPR?

It's even worse for people who are doing GPR in NY without having passed a clinical licensure exam. If they are forced out or quit their GPR in the midst of this, they are basically unlicensed.

I almost read that wrong. I highly doubt that residents will be forced out of a GPR program.

Last edited:
What's the appeal of living in an expensive, dirty, crowded metro where people take pride in being rude?

That said, I am planning on going to NYC to start a specialty residency (COVID willing)

Last edited:
What's the appeal of living in an expensive, dirty, crowded metro where people take pride in being rude?

That said, I am planning on going to NYC to start a specialty residency (COVID willing)
The appeal of our bagels and pizza is overwelming.

The appeal of our bagels and pizza is overwelming.
I’m more of a quantity over quality kind of guy.

329CDCCA-EE7A-4E69-BF44-28BB3A001335.jpeg

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I’d agree with others, you’re not going to have much of a life in the city on a residents salary. If you’re wealthy, go for it. BUT ... bad year to got NYC....you my find the program has been devastated and it’s not what it was. I’d personally go somewhere else.

Real New Yorkers, those born and raised here, know that those not from NYC just don't get it. You are a primary example.
Not hating, but NYC is the most vibrant, alive, intellectual, and beautiful city in the world, and native New Yorkers will never accept anyone putting us down.

I did my residency in NY (N. Bronx). I consider it a life memory that I will always cherish. If given the opportunity to experience the city ..... you should do it. Obviously the corona virus complicates matters and you should consider that situation carefully.
Yes. New Yorkers are ..... unique, but I learned to appreciate them for who they are. Got to ride in my 1st subway. Went to the Harvard Club. Had many lunches with my wife at City Island. Checked out Orchard beach. Shopped for food in Yonkers. Played golf at Van Cortlandt park gc. Visited long island. Went to some yankees and mets games. Statue of liberty. Museums. Central park. The food. Did I mention the FOOD. New York pizza pies. Bagels. Bronx zoo. Went to a few plays.
btw. I was just a poor resident. But I did receive a stipend and my wife worked .... so we could indulge in some fun stuff.

Now ... could I live in the city forever? No. I'm a rural kind of person.

Real New Yorkers, those born and raised here, know that those not from NYC just don't get it. You are a primary example.
Not hating, but NYC is the most vibrant, alive, intellectual, and beautiful city in the world, and native New Yorkers will never accept anyone putting us down.

Oh, I get why people are attracted to NY. To me, the cons outweigh the pros. I hear a lot of about how NY is the greatest city in the world from people who have not spent a lot of time in other places (not saying you are one of those people). Berlin, Tokyo, Barcelona, Singapore etc. have all of those qualities that NY is supposedly the best at.

Oh, I get why people are attracted to NY. To me, the cons outweigh the pros. I hear a lot of about how NY is the greatest city in the world from people who have not spent a lot of time in other places (not saying you are one of those people). Berlin, Tokyo, Barcelona, Singapore etc. have all of those qualities that NY is supposedly the best at.
I like all of the cities you mentioned....maybe not Singapore so much (I like Bangkok better), but none of them compare to NYC. Perhaps the closest are Moscow and Paris, but both don't have everything the way New York does. Moscow has the party, and Paris has the food and wine, but you can easily get all of that, and more 24/7 in NYC. It's dirty and expensive, but if you live in an apartment overlooking the park, it is very nice. No where is perfect.

You won’t get to experience NYC when covid is going on. Covid is not going away anytime soon

Barcelona doesn't compare to New York. No way.

I did a GPR in NYC because I really wanted to live there. It was fun. Really enjoyed my time there for residency and a few years afterwards.