Applying for NY dental license by endorsement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endoapp20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a general dentist with 3 years of private practice experience. I took WREB for my licensure. I am moving to NY and was wondering if anyone is familiar with the licensure by endorsement in NY state. Do I still have to take the ADEX/CDCA/NERB? (I checked the website and it does not list ADEX as a requirement for licensure). I would greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ADEX and 1 year residency for NY from what I know. I would wait for more replies.

It's right on the NYS website:

Applicants Licensed in Another Jurisdiction (Endorsement)
If you are licensed as a dentist in another jurisdiction of the United States or a Canadian province and have fulfilled all the requirements for licensure including the experience requirements by completing an approved residency program, this section does not apply to you. You should apply for licensure based upon completion of the approved residency program (see Experience Requirements section for details).

If you have not completed an approved residency program of at least one year's duration and are licensed as a dentist in another jurisdiction of the United States or a Canadian province, the Department may endorse that license if the Department determines you have met the licensing requirements of New York State Education Law and the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education. To be licensed by endorsement, you must:

• meet New York State education requirements;
  • have been licensed in another jurisdiction of the United States or a Canadian Province and practiced lawfully for at least two years (full-time) following initial licensure - 8 months of such practice must have been in the two years preceding your application;
  • have passed an examination satisfactory to the board and in accordance with the Commissioner's Regulations (see Examination Requirements section for details.);
  • be at least twenty-one years of age;
  • be of good moral character as determined by the Department; and
  • complete coursework or training in the identification and reporting of child abuse offered by a New York State approved provider.
To apply for a New York State license by endorsement, you must submit, or have submitted on your behalf, the following:

• Application for Licensure (Form 1) with a licensure and first registration fee of $377;
  • Certification of Professional Education (Form 2) verifying that you meet New York State's education requirements;
  • Verification of Other Licensure/Certification (Form 3);
  • Personal Affidavit of Professional Practice of Endorsement Applicants (Form 4); and
  • Supporting Affidavit of Professional Practice for Endorsement Applicants (Form 4A) to document two years of full-time practice; and
  • a certificate of completion or a certificate of exemption for the child abuse identification and reporting training.
Examination Requirements
For licensure, you must obtain passing scores on both Parts I and II of the National Board Dental Examination. The Department must receive verification of your passing scores directly from the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations. You are responsible for contacting the examination agency for obtaining appropriate information and forms.

Normally, dental students take Parts I and II of the National Board Dental Examination in the final years of dental study and their dental schools assist in the arrangements. If you completed a program of dental education in an unregistered and unaccredited dental school outside the United States, contact the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations for information on taking the examinations.

For an application to take the National Board Dental Examinations or for transmittal of scores to the New York State Education Department, contact the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (see Reasonable Testing Accommodations section for contact information).

Scores are not available by telephone from the Office of the Professions or the testing agency.

Reasonable Testing Accommodations
If you have a disability and may require reasonable testing accommodations for the examinations, please contact the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations for information. They can be contacted at:

Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone: 1-800-232-1694
Web: www.ada.org
External Link Icon